Chapter 15

He told her everything he'd already said to Elena.

How Klaus was his younger brother. His half-brother. The fourth of seven children his mother had. The son of the Alpha of the werewolf Pack near their village. The real curse was one placed on him by his mother, at the request of Elijah's father. It kept him from being a full hybrid— a creature both vampire and wolf.

"That's so horrible," Maddy whispered. "I... I can't forgive what he's done but... some part of me gets it. My father was really, really awful, too. Not in the same way yours was, but... it left all of us with these really violent tendencies after we turned. I can't imagine being treated like dogshit your whole life just to have a part of you ripped away. A part of him that... well, it was your mother's fault, not his. It's not like he asked her to cheat on your dad."

Elijah seemed curious at her reaction. Seeing her sympathizing, even empathizing a bit for his brother.

"And what you said about your father killing the Alpha and his family," said Maddy. "It means Klaus had half-siblings on his father's side that he... never got to meet. He never got to have anyone walk him through being a werewolf. Jesus christ..." she shook her head. "Why are you telling me this? Why me, why not Stefan and Damon?"

"Well, you'll tell them regardless. You just happen to be more approachable."

"I'm pretty sure Stefan is the most approachable out of the three of us."

"Hmm, perhaps. But I happen to trust you most."

"How is this going to work? The full moon is in a few days. Can't you contact more witches?"

Elijah hesitated. "I am unfortunately not as involved with witches as my brothers are. My youngest brother, he adores witches. Niklaus uses them from time to time, more often than I do. I have no one else to contact. To find another witch, I would need to reach out to Klaus himself and that... would not be wise. We should keep it a secret, that I am awake."

"We can do that. You should probably stay here in the meantime. Better that you don't leave the house unless it's absolutely necessary. We'll have to get you more suits to wear, since you seem to like those. I don't think you fit into anything my brothers own."

"That's alright," he said. "I compelled Carol Lockwood, I'm sure that you could retrieve her husband's suits for me."

Maddy made a face. "You want me to bring you her dead husband's suits? As her wife, I have to say no."

Elijah raised a brow. "Her wife?"

"Inside joke. Stupid of me to say it. Anyway, um, I think it's just better if I get you suits somewhere else. Not from a dead man's closet."

"Very well. Is there anything else that you were curious about?"

"I'm guessing you'll give us all more details on the day of the full moon. So... nothing about that. But I did want to know... isn't there any other way? To kill Klaus?"

"There is," said Elijah. "But it is far more dangerous. It would be very, very unwise to take that route, as it could end in my permanent death and yours as well."

Maddy winced. "Okay, well, I guess we're not doing that. And... something tells me that you're not going to give me more details."

"It's better you not know."

"Why did you really wish to protect me?"

Elijah ran his tongue over his lips. He came to sit beside her, having been standing by the window while she was on the couch. "For selfish reasons," he admitted. "Reasons I would never dare admit in the presence of your brothers."