Chapter Nineteen

Sam Lewis 😌

The lecturer for Business and Accounting had told us beforehand that he wouldn't make it to class today and thus had given us an assignment to complete in groups.

Jordan, Evans and I had been put into one group and so currently, our desks were in a circle as we brought our views on the assignment.

  "Because of its depreciation, the value of it can't cost more than the original price when it was brand new."Evans reasoned out.

  "Yeah. But it cannot be priced less than $30,000,"Jordan tapped his pen unrhythmically on the table,"because it only depreciated by a lower percentage."

Evans and I agreed with him by nodding.

   "Let's put our points down,"I said after a few more minutes of exchanging views,"For future reference."

Just so I wouldn't be the less contributive one.😌

Apart from the occasional noises of chairs being dragged and the flipping of papers as well as some murmured voices, the class was reasonably silent.

   And so, the loud ringing tone of my phone literally pierced through the entire class causing stares my way. Embarrassed much, I quickly turned to my bag which helpfully fell on the floor and searched for the opening.

It didn't even help that my ringtone was a song created by one popular African reggae artiste ten years ago. Some people had turned choristers humming to the song already.
The murmuring in the class was getting quite louder as I clumsily fumbled for the phone.

  ♪♪Let me knoww, yeah, gimme another chance...baby gimme another chance
  Gurl another chance just one bly...One more nigh-♪♪

I swiped right to answer before my eyes bulged out of their sockets when I noticed who was calling.

  "E-excuse me, need to answer this,"I said to Evans and Jordan before getting to my feet and strolling out.

Stepping out of the class, I walked further through the veranda that extended along our block. I stopped in front of an empty class where abandoned desks had been packed and brought the phone to my ear.

  "Hello?"I whispered in my normal voice, glancing around.

   "Sam are you there!"

"Yes Aunty, I'm here–"but she didn't let me end.

  "Are you stupid?! Are you crazy?! Hey, do you think at all?"she fired at once and this was to be expected.

  "I–I'm sorry, I've been very busy with schoolwork and it escaped me to uh give you a call..."

"Bullshit! Total nonsense! You know what, I can't stop regretting that I paid your fees and actually allowed you go. You don't think!..."

I sighed, mentally rolling my eyes as I listened to her rain insults upon insults.

Staying with her for years, I'd grown completely immune to all her yellings. Gone are the days when I used to weep over them and worry that she didn't love me.

  "Now listen to me carefully you poor excuse of a lady!Are you listening?"

   "Yes."

"I don't know when you're coming home for break and I don't care to know. But I'm hosting a party this Saturday,a very grand one at that cause you know, your uncle is coming home this weekend and I need to welcome him like any woman would do for her man-..."

I almost scoffed loudly at that.

  "... And I can't do all the preparations alone. Can't go through all that stress so whatever it is, just take an exeat, book a flight and come home–"