CHAPTER XXIII

The very next day, with the whole night, spent planning and mostly arguing and convincing the certain two people in question, they ultimately decide to act out their plan.

Rastos and Calista requested a private audience with his father, the King.

"I thought you said you didn't like Princess Calista."

"I thought so too. But now I do like her and I want to marry her."

"So suddenly? When you were so strongly against it? Pray do tell, what made and followed such a sudden change?"

"I didn't know her back then. But after I spent a few times with her, I come to realize how precious she is and don't want to lose her. She works hard without any reward, which shows how kind and pure-hearted she is from the inside. From the outside, it may seem like she's indifferent and cold, however, once you get to know her you will see how adorable she is."

Calista blushes at his comments since they were altered from the ones they had memorized and decided to say.

"Is that true for you as well, Princess Calista? Do you also wish to marry Rastos?"

"Yes. I may have gotten blinded by his frivolous nature and had decided against the marriage. But I know how important this reunion is for both our countries and I don't want to destroy all that. I want to be more responsible and uphold my duty."

Hearing Calista say the words that they memorized made Rastos experience a pang in his heart. He knows she mentioned what they had practiced before but he didn't enjoy the idea of her merely agreeing to marry him just because it was her duty. Even more the fact that he forgot and overlooked his lines and stated whatever came to his mind, at least it wasn't so half-hearted.

"Therefore, you are only going to marry him as a sign of duty?"

Rastos was secretly glad at his father for asking the question, to which he contains curiosity for as well. It wasn't like he was expecting anything and that he liked her. He still doesn't like how prim and proper she acts. It's suffocating.

"Somewhat. Also....he is a considerate person so if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have decided to do this duty. I believe that....if it's him then...everything's going to be alright."

"Have you perhaps fallen for my son?"

Calista's face flushes. She thought this all would be over as quickly as possible however the King keeps on asking her questions. Questions that had never been asked to her in the past that made her have these thoughts and caused her head to be dizzy, mind to be fuzzy and her heart to be fluttery.

Observing her reaction, the King smirks, an expression full of confidence, satisfaction and proudness.

"Well then, let it be. I congratulate both of you on your future union! Let's arrange the wedding in a month!"

"No!"

They both blurted out together as a reflex.

The king, puzzled by their reactions, arches his brow

"Father, if I may. We were wondering if we could have a small engagement celebration before. Possibly this week. Since Calista has to go back to her home and then come back as the crown princess of this empire. We can host the wedding ceremony later on. It's no big deal. There's a frequent amount of time."

"I see what you mean but what does my daughter-in-law want to do by going back? If she desires anything, tell us. After all, she is the sole crown princess of this whole empire."

"I appreciate your point of view but I don't want to deprive her right of seeing her homeland before she officially becomes part of our kingdom.

"I see. I didn't think of that. You're right. Let's do that. An engagement ceremony two days later and then a wedding a month later."

The wedding word made both of them shudder and cringe from the inside, however, they know that for now, it'll be useless to argue with the King since they've already run out of excuses to offer.

Calista sees this as a chance, bows and thanks to the king before taking her leave so that Rastos could talk to his father.

Seeing Rastos, standing there, fidgeting, the King inquires,

"My son, is there something you'd prefer to share?"

Rastos wasn't exceedingly close with his father. His father wasn't a cruel father with anger issues but rather a distant father due to his work. They hardly had the chance to communicate to each other hence Rastos didn't know what kind of man his father was. Although one thing anyone knew in the whole kingdom was that the King deeply loves the Queen and their children.

"I...uh...I required your advice for something."

"Advice? What is it about?"

The King becomes alert upon heeding his son's request. His son, whom he had barely managed to engage in a proper conversation with but with whom he loves dearly, and for the first time in his life had asked his father for something.

"It's a bit personal so I seek your advice as a father, not as a king of this nation."

"Pray do tell. I'm all ears."

"I want to gift Calista something precious. But I can't decide on anything. I want it to be solely for her..."

The King hums in response. Rastos felt he wasn't taking this seriously so he decides to call out to him but before he could do that, his father responded,

"It can't be jewelry, clothes, or anything common. You require it to be unique, right?"

"Yes, that's right."

"Then the key to our imperial treasury...? No wait, that's nonetheless still gold. Then what could it be....."

"I was thinking of something that's priceless and can't be found or made anywhere else."

"Something priceless you say? Well, why didn't you say this before? Gift her the Holy Relic Book....though a book might be boring to her...."

"Are you sure? Isn't that a treasure belonging to this kingdom?"

"Who do you suppose the kingdom belongs to, my son?"

The King smirks and adds,

"The people?"

"Ah yes, that too. However I was referring to our personal treasury that also includes the holy relics. Moreover, giving it isn't a problem, however, I feel it may be too boring for the person herself. Does she enjoy books?"

"I think so.."

"Then it is perfect."

"In the meanwhile, after the engagement ceremony, we can think of another suitable gift to provide her with."

"That sounds like a good idea."

"Are you satisfied now? Or are there any other concerns you wish to discuss with me? I am all ears."

"Thank you but this will suffice."