Chapter 11

There was a fleeting moment when you saw how the kids cornered Suki outside the school premise, for a passing moment in time you thought you saw the younger version of yourself instead of the six year old girl that resembles Kenma.

And it brought you back to the time when you have experienced it yourself, being intimidated by other kids in your class, being called names and laughed at. Until this kid came and stood in front of you, as if to act as a shield against those who were being mean to you.

Since then you thought how cool he was, and you wanted to be that kind of hero to someone else. So when you saw Kenma a few years ago, back in college, when he was being cornered and intimidated, you defended him.

You didn't know the same thing would happen to his daughter. And as fate would have it, you stood up for both of them.

"Suki-chan," you called, the little girl had been silent for a while now, even when you two are inside the car.

So instead of going straight home, you decided to go on a detour and drove to a cherry blossom park ten minutes from the apartment complex. And since Kenma said he wouldn't be home until dinner, you thought you could use some time alone with Suki and talk to her.

"Do you like chocolate or strawberry ice cream?" you asked, sitting on the bench beside her as you showed her two cups of ice cream.

"Strawberry," she muttered and you handed it to her.

She took a scoop of the ice cream and took a bite, the cold and sweetness exploding in her mouth as Suki smiled slightly and took another bite.

"Thank you..." she trailed off, averting her gaze elsewhere as you looked at her.

"It's alright, you can call me whatever you like."

She was hesitant for a second before she looks at you a bit shyly and muttered, "Mommy?"

You nodded your head. "Yes, Suki-chan?"

"Can I call you mommy?" she asked, this time her voice is louder than earlier.

"Of course you can."

"Really? Can I really?!" she asked again, her eyes lighting up in excitement before you scooted closer to her and engulfed her in a hug that lasted a few seconds before you leaned back.

"I can't believe I have such a cute and brave daughter," you said, squeezing her cheeks slightly as Suki giggled before she scooped a spoonful of strawberry ice cream and lifted it towards you.

"Mommy say ah," she said and you opened your mouth as she gave you a spoonful of ice cream, the sweetness overwhelming your taste buds but it's nothing compared to the feeling you're experiencing now.