Ch 65: A Split Party

Plans began immediately following Urswick's return. He brought good news, informing them that the King of France had granted them asylum. But there wasn't time to celebrate their small victory. The challenge now was getting Henry to France without him being captured.

"We'll split up," Jasper said as he stared down at the map in front of him. His brow was furrowed to the point that they were nearly touching. As he raised his head to look at the room, whose audience consisted of Henry, Adelaide, Kayden, Marcus, Anthony, and Theodore, his gaze was intense and serious.

"What? No," snapped Henry already shaking his head and not contemplating the plan for even a second. "That leaves us vulnerable. I'm not running to France and leaving you behind."

"You won't be leaving me behind, Henry. If we leave together, it'll raise suspicion," retorted Jasper. His panic was boiling into anger, and his tone was harsh as he rounded on his nephew. Adelaide flinched at the look in his eyes, but only because she knew the pained, frantic worry was mirrored in her own. Jasper, realizing his temper, sighed and moved towards Henry, grasping him firmly by the shoulders. "I'll take a few men and depart for Rennes. It'll give the impression that I'm going to meet Duke Francis. When we're close to the French frontier, though, we'll make a break for Anjou. Meanwhile, I want you to tell everyone that you're going to visit a friend in a nearby manor. When you're outside the city, head for the forest, disguise yourself as a commoner, ride across the border, and meet up with me in Anjou."

Henry wasn't happy about the arrangement, but the diversion was necessary in order for them both to have the chance of getting to France.

For the next hour, they reviewed the more specifics of their plan. To stay hidden and not raise any alarms, Henry would leave two days after Jasper in a small group consisting of Adelaide and Kayden, along with Marcus and Anthony. Meanwhile, Theodore and a few others would journey with Jasper. Matthew Baker, one of Henry's servants, would meet them in the forest with the necessary clothing to conceal their identical. After that, they wouldn't stop unless their horses needed water. 

"I'll leave immediately," Jasper finished, standing up and saying a few things to Theodore, who instantly left the room to prepare the horses and gather the rest of their party members. "The rest of you should go about your regular activities. If our plot to mislead the Brittany councilor is going to be successful, we need to keep even our own people unaware. Stay quiet and leave even quieter."

Adelaide and Kayden exchanged a look as they slipped out of the room along with the others. Henry remained with Jasper, the former with a pained expression as they moved closer to talk. With a sigh, Adelaide rested her back against the closed door and let her head fall. Her anxiety regarding Henry's safety was easing into worry for Jasper. She didn't want to part from either of them, but not being there to protect Jasper... it was unbearable. 

"They'll both be okay," Kayden said softly, nudging her with his shoulder. He offered her a reassuring smile, and she tried to return it, but she could see the concern etched in his own face. They began walking together, their pace slow and aimless as they weaved their way through the corridors.

They hadn't specified a destination, but they both walked towards the courtyard. The sun was shining overhead and the last dregs of winter had begun to recede, welcoming in the pleasant rays of spring. Adelaide could hear the children playing long before they came into view. 

Charity was watching them with a smile plastered to her face. She rested a hand on her very swollen belly as she bent over to lend her ear to one of the younger girls. Adelaide's eyes rolled from her very pregnant, long-time friend to her son, who was playing with a few of the other boys staying at the manor. They each had a long wooden stick in their grasp and were shouting out battle cries and taunts as they swung them at one another. Roland was by far the most coordinated, and Adelaide grinned proudly as he parried a few strikes before disarming his opponent. 

Upon seeing her, Roland's face split into a wide smile and he rushed directly for her. Without hesitation, Adelaide bent down and hauled him into her arms. He was getting too big to carry, but she enjoyed having him in her arms. She only managed to keep him aloft for a minute or so before she was forced to put him back on his feet. 

"I have to speak with you for a moment," Adelaide said to him in a soft voice. She tried to push the worry off of her face, but Roland seemed to notice the tightness to her smile because his little brow furrowed and he frowned. 

"What's wrong, Addie?" He said quietly enough so that only she could hear him. 

"In a couple days I'll be leaving with Uncle Henry to go on a little trip," she explained, hoping her voice stayed steady. "I'm not going to be able to see you for a while, so I need you to be a good boy and listen to your mother and Lewis. Okay?"

Roland nodded, but from his expression Adelaide could tell he had questions. He opened his mouth to speak, but the shouts of the other boys interrupted him. He turned to call back to them, but hesitated as he pivoted to look at Adelaide. She shook her head at his inquires before urging him to return to the group. He stayed a moment longer, gave her a tight hug, and then ran to rejoin them. 

During their exchange, Charity had slid up next to them. Marriage suited her and from what she had told Adelaide, Lewis took very good care of her. The first year of their union had been an adjustment, but they were both excited to welcome the new member to their family. Adelaide tried not to be jealous of their happiness, but a pang hit her chest every time she looked at Charity's round belly and the rosie glow that seemed a constant on her face. 

"You're leaving?" She asked, her eyes remaining on the children. 

"Yes," Adelaide answered, her own gaze locked to Roland. 

"For how long will you be gone?"

"I don't know." 

That was the end of their discussion and neither pressured the conversation to continue. Charity moved closer to Adelaide, though, providing as much comfort as she could without the exchange appearing inappropriate to onlookers. Kayden stayed near them with his arms folded behind his back as he, too, watched the children playing. They remained like that until Henry joined them. He also said his goodbyes, subtly, to both Roland and Charity before pulling Adelaide and Kayden aside to go and see Jasper off. 

When they moved into a discreet passage, obscured from sight by everyone else in the manor, Henry and Adelaide both reached for one another simultaneously. Their fingers interlaced and they squeezed one another tightly before letting go and stepping back into the roles they'd been assigned. 

Outside the manor, Jasper and his company awaited. Their horses were ladened with as much as they could feasibly carry without diminishing their speed, but they were all still dressed officially. They weren't leaving in secret. They were a diversion. A diversion in case things went south and the Brittany court caught onto their plans. 

Adelaide addressed the group of soldiers with a hardness in her face. The company consisted of many that she'd trained. Theodore, the senior solider with the most experience, simply nodded at Adelaide before mounting his horse. She returned the gesture before directing her attention towards Lance and Harry. She didn't need to say anything to them. They understood what she was asking just by the look in her eyes. 

"We'll keep him safe," Lance said with a reassuring firmness in his voice. Adelaide tried to muster a smile of gratitude, but her face was stiff and felt unnatural. 

"Arthur, come here," Jasper motioned, drawing her to the side. She exchanged a look with Henry before moving to the side of the group to an area where they wouldn't be overheard. Immediately, he grasped her in a tight embrace and she returned the force. They hadn't gotten a moment to say their goodbyes, so they forced every ounce of their fear and worry into a suffocating hold. 

"I will see you in a few days," Adelaide whispered to him, tears stinging the backs of her eyes. 

"I'll see you both in a few days," he said, the emphasis in his words sharp. She nodded and they pulled apart. 

Without further delay, Jasper climbed atop his horse and hollered to his men. Adelaide stood to Henry's right, Kayden to his left, and they watched them until they disappeared out the courtyard, a billow of smoke rising up behin. Night had started to fall before they decided to return.