61. apoplectic

061

061

"See? I can walk all by myself to the car, with no problem." Devora boasted, watching herself slightly topple in her heels.

Jungkook held her close, laughing at her. "Oh, yeah you're walking perfectly." He kept his large hand enveloped tightly around her hip.

Devora did the same, holding onto Jungkook's stern torso as they made their way to his parked Mercedes.

They had said goodbye to the other members, dismissing themselves from the table to start their trip home while it was still ten o'clock.

"Be honest, if you were a police officer, would I pass the straight-line test?" She inquired, looking up at her towering ebony-haired boyfriend.

"If I was a police officer, you'd be in my backseat after just taking one good look at you." He answered, being brutally pragmatic.

"Ooh, your backseat? That sounds riveting." She laughed, trying to speak without slurring. "What's in your backseat?"

"Wow, that is inappropriate." His chest bellowed as he chuckled. "Let's just focus on getting you home, okay my princess?"

She disregarded the assemblage of lithe hummingbirds in her racing heart that his beloved nicknames brought to her.

"What? How is that inappropriate? What exactly do you have in your backseat, huh? Handcuffs and whips?" Snickering at her own smutty commentary.

Jungkook's lips parted, completely aghast.

He can't remember a time when Devora was so lewd. He guessed it was an effect the alcohol had on her.

It was the wrong timing for all that.

Maybe that kind of talk would be more appropriate if they were alone, and not walking in a parking lot, while he held her close from all the liquor that was weighing her down.

Jungkook regarded a group of drunks that appeared from the side of the lot, near a car that they were walking past. The five of them seemed to be in their mid-forties, maybe even late thirties.

A couple of them kept ignited cigarettes in their mouths, puffing out noxious vapor into the air as they sauntered among parked cars.

Not only did they reek of nicotine, but the stench of beer was fiercely penetrating even from miles away, thriving off of their mucky clothes.

He knew not all intoxicated men were disgusting enough to try anything, but it was better safe than sorry.

He pulled Devora closer, keeping an eye out as the men crossed paths behind them.

There was a hushed whistle and delighted humming, intently watching Devora while she strode gracefully beside Jungkook.

Then, a loud smack resounded throughout the reserved parking lot, causing Devora to solidify in place from the hand that was slapped against her butt.