December Part 1

Daphne POV

"Babe, it's our Christmas party day. I have to be there," I tell Chris over the phone. He'd called to check on me before I leave for work since he's pulling a double today. I'd made the mistake of telling him that I was dizzy when I got up this morning. "I'm sure it's just a slight bout of vertigo again. I did that exercise you showed me so I should be fine now."

Truth is it didn't matter how I felt. I had no choice but to go to work today. We were in the midst of a massive substitute shortage. It happened this time of year, every year, because of the holidays. Most of our subs were student's moms and they wanted to be a part of the festivities as a mom, not as a substitute.

"I just want you to be careful. If you need me, call and I can shoot over from the station to check on you," he offers me a solution, even though he knows good and well that I am too pigheaded to do that.

"Okay."

"You're not going to call me, are you?" I give a quiet chuckle from my side of the phone. He returns my chuckle with a deep sigh of his own. "We're going to your parents tonight, right?"

"Yep. I'll just meet you there. I need to run a couple of errands before heading that way. Have to make sure I have your presents ready to go."

We talk for just another moment while I let Dodger out before loading up my car. I take my first sip of coffee before putting the travel lid over the top of it. "What in the world?" The taste is incredibly off. I double check to make sure I grabbed my coffee and not Chris' since his is a dark roast. Seeing that it is in fact mine I grab the creamer to smell it. Noticing the smell is off I decide it must be rancid even though we opened it just three days ago.

Me- You'll need to buy new creamer. Ours went bad quick. I'll miss my coffee this morning. :(

Chris- Seriously? It was practically brand new. I wonder if something is going on with the fridge.

Me- I hope not. It's not even a year old. Maybe find the warranty when you get home?

Chris- Will do. Love you, baby. Have a good day.

Me- U2

~~~~~~

   "Morning, Mrs. Evans. This was just dropped off for you," the secretary tells me when she walks through my classroom door.  I meet her just a couple steps inside my room, noticing the cup of coffee she's holding out to me.

  "Who is this from?"

  The secretary tosses a wink my way before continuing. "Tall, dark, fireman...does any of that ring a bell?"  I feel a blush come across my face as she describes my hunk of a husband.

  "He's too good to me," I admit, taking the cup from her hand.

  "He could teach several of our husbands a thing or two." She gives a sweet smile before walking back out of my room just as the first set of students come in.

   "Merry Christmas, Mrs. Evans!" my sweet babies yell out as soon as they get to my door, arms laden with cookies, chips and gifts.

   "Merry Christmas to each of you my little loves!" I set my coffee down at my desk, ready to help them unpack their arms and backpacks. 

   In no time at all my room is full of eighteen bright eyed little faces ready to party all day long. 

  "You should open your presents first," little Chloe says from her seat.

  "Mrs. Evans, open mine first!" Jason runs up to my desk with a gift bag. 

  "Okay, okay! Let's do our pledge first and then we'll start the fun. Deal?" I offer the little ones.