𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

AS SOON AS THEY WERE IN THE ELEVATOR THAT WOULD TAKE THEM TO THEIR FLOOR, BELLE LET OUT ALL THE THINGS SHE HAD BEEN DREADING TO YELL AT FINNICK

"I thought I knew you," she snapped at him as soon as the doors closed. He looked at her, shrugging. "What on Earth is your problem?"

"I don't understand your statement." Being cute was not going to help his situation. "Belle..."

"What was Johanna talking about? And all those trips to the Capitol? The cold facade that you've put on for the past few years. We're about to die, Finnick."

"We're not going to die," he began, but she cut him off.

"Well, we are certainly not going to make it. We might be few of the youngest tributes but we aren't bright new. Johanna, the twins, oh, and let's never forget the dreadful Mr. and Mrs. Killer Berries, who, by the way, are already planning what is the most painful way they are going to kill you." She looked away. "The star-crossed lovers of District 12. Their relationship might be fake as these eyelashes I have on, but at least they seem to share everything."

"I was trying to save you."

"What? Save me? Why would you think I need saving?"

Finnick is a calmed person, someone that doesn't get upset easily. He knows how to keep himself restrained, tolerate whatever comes into his plate with grace and attractiveness, with confidence and elegance. But Belle was the only one that could make him feel like he was seven years old again.

So, after she said that, Finnick lost his patience. "Because I know what's best for you!"

"Oh really!?"

"I've known you my entire life. I've taught you everything I know. Everything you know is because of me!"

"Don't flatter yourself, Finnick!"

"Eight years ago, when Yoleere read your name I almost had a stroke right there. I was sixteen years old, I had already survived the worst things anyone could possibly experience, also beginning to suffer through a whole new other thing, and... and now my best friend in the whole world was going to suffer them too. You can't blame me from trying to protect you from this."

"I already lived the games, Finnick! I suffered through them! Everyday after them was nightmare after nightmare, cry after cry, and where were you!? Where were you when I finally came home to find my father's grave?"

Finnick shook his head. "That's not fair, Belle."

"Where were you, Finnick!? Wasn't it your responsibility to protect me!? Your "best friend in the whole world"? After you finished your duties as my mentor, where were you!?"