Am I Wrong, Professor?

I stepped into the cafeteria. It was dazzling, with high, marvelous ceilings and bright marble columns, with a glass wall overlooking the blooming flower garden.

The nobles were fufufu-ing and hohoho-ing away until I came in. Then the cafeteria became louder and people were staring at me in awe as I walked to my table. As usual. I thought. This is so boring... There's nothing new here.

It was the first week of school, and everyone had already settled down. I sat down where Ax and Ciar were. My posture was elegant, as usual, since there were others there. But, since no one besides the two were there, my unrestrained manner of speaking remained the same.

"What're you guys doing?" I asked off-handedly.

"Nothing much. We have swordsmanship class after this, right?" Ax replied.

"Yeah. Then we have the elective classes. What did you guys choose?" I replied.

"I chose language." Ax told me. Ciar nodded his head in agreement.

"Only one?"

"What do you mean, only one?"

"I signed up for all three. I guess I'll be seeing you guys in language fourth period." I finished my meal and stood up.

"Where're you going?" Ciar asked me, standing up as well.

"Well, I'm sure that you somehow know, Lord Na. You always had such a vast information network." I hinted while smiling gracefully and striding away.

"Ahhh! Lady Novea has so much grace! Truly a duke's daughter!"

"She carries herself with so much dignity..."

"So beautiful..."

I could hear the calls in the background, but I pretended to be oblivious and walked towards my destination, holding the letter that was once in front of my dorm room door. Another one. Are they high-ranking? I pondered.

The letter was anonymous. I wanted to just tear it up. It was so annoying, cutting into my free time, but I had no choice but to reply. Maybe I should just quit being an heir... it's so annoying to socialize... I thought to myself when I waited at the third courtyard. Soon, a figure ran towards me. I'm seriously so weirded out by nobles' conduct all the time in the school. They don't have any manners despite the fact that there are others that might be watching them.

"Lady... Novea... you are here." The ginger said, looking at me with eyes of admiration.

"Yes, indeed. Lord Nexus, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." I curtsied, and he bowed in turn. So he's another kingdom's count's son, huh. I remember that he has a fiance. I think her name was Pinalse, but he still wants to confess to me? I know that it's common for noble's to have lovers because engagement is just a political maneuver, but I still can't help but be grossed out by it. Engagement and marriage mean something to me since I'm from Earth. Uh, but since he's just a count's son, I can deal with this, easy. Thousands of thoughts spiraled in my head as I spoke those words.

"What might you want to speak to me about?" I inquired overbearingly.

"I wish to get engaged. Lady Novea, I have fallen for you at first sight." He kneeled down and extended his hand towards me. Uhhh, gross. Seriously, I hate people who fall for others at first sight. That means that they don't even know another person's personality but still love them because of their looks. Disgusting. Why do other noble ladies think it's romantic? It's superficial and shallow.

I acted flustered, and used my supreme acting skills to blush. I gotta finish this fast before lunch is over. "...I-I do not know what to say, Lord Nexus. I-I'm flattered, really."

"Then..."

"But, we cannot be together. We are from different worlds. While you are from the Kingdom of Sonar, I am from the Kingdom of Asar. We are just not meant to be." I put my hand on my forehead dramatically for extra measure. Lord Nexus looked dejected. As per the usual. This is so boring. Before he had a chance to ask why, I added, "I enjoy your company very much, though. Please, will you allow me to be your friend? Or, perhaps, should we start out as acquaintances?" I flashed a smile and he instantly looked dizzy and blushed. Always works. Distract and branch out.

"I-I would love to be your friend. I hope we get to know each other better in the future." He ran away like a scared little rat. My smile instantly dropped and was replaced with a cold and conniving expression.

I wiped my hand on my school uniform and walked back to the dining hall. Another connection through confession. This is seriously... I thought as I sat down again.

"What were you doing, Alice?" Ax asked curiously.

I just smiled brilliantly once again and said, "Nothing you should worry yourself over, Ax. Please, do not fret."

"Alice, you forgot to turn off your noble switch." Ciar told me, deadpan.

"Oops, shit. I forgot, didn't I. My bad." I told him before continuing to eat. Confessions always distract me. It's so annoying.

----

"Slamnd conasln. Spn askqean, xaled pelnsponls." The professor told us while pointing to the chalk covered blackboard, then saying, "That is how you speak in Quenst. Do you know what I said, students?"

It was fourth period, and I was in language class, going through an extremely easy and boring lecture on the language of Quenst. Since electives incorporated all of the classes together, from Class F to Class S, I was sitting with unidentified people looking at me that I didn't know.

"Lady Novea. Please." The professor pointed to me.

"Professor Igeln, please mind my manners, but your pronunciation was wrong." I told him while smiling.

"Excuse me? That is quite rude of you, Lady Novea." He told me, seemingly flustered and indignant. "If you wish to educate me on Quenst, then perhaps you, yourself, should teach the class." Dude, you shouldn't just say that to a duke's daughter so casually.

"Then, I shall do as you say." I walked down the stairs and up to the blackboard, and pointed to the words written in white chalk. "Slamnd conasln. Spn askqean, xaled pelnsponls. That is what you said, professor. I suppose you meant to say 'Speak of the devil and he shall appear.' However, as I said before, your pronunciation was wrong. Slamnl conan. Spn askqan, xaled pensponls. That is the proper translation of the expression, since Quenst has a specific rule that you must follow, after any..." I began the lecture while looking at the professor with a mocking stare.

Yes, speak of the devil and he shall appear. Dear professor, you dared to provoke me. I suppose you don't know what that means for you, do you?

"Do you have any questions, professor? Or, perhaps, do you not agree with my statement? If you wish, I can grab a book on ancient cosmology and show you why my claim was correct." I smiled and the class laughed at the professor with me, while Ciar looked at me with an amused and entertained expression. No one ever wins against me. Well, besides Al and Mother.

I could see Ax shivering in fright on the back row, thinking, Nova is a demon!