Chapter 12

Madison woke up late in the morning. She washed up and headed downstairs. She found her parents in the kitchen cooking brunch. Her mom was making her signature light, fluffy, pancakes. They were Madison's favorite. Her dad made Kimchi eggs and ham. Madison cut up some fruit to go with breakfast and poured herself a glass of milk. She sat down to eat and didn't say it out loud, but she wished there were chocolate chips in the pancakes.

"I'm going to play soccer with a friend from school today at the park." Madison informed them.

"Oh fun. Tell us about your friend." Her mom smiled as she spoke and ate.

"His name is Juwon, he is the Captain of the boys' soccer team." Her parents nodded with approval.

The conversation continued as they ate brunch. They talked about their week in a new house in a new town and about the upcoming week. Madison's mom informed her she had an appointment on Wednesday and would miss school in the afternoon. Her dad had to take a trip for work out of town mid-week.

Madison texted Juwon that she was headed to the park and would meet him there. He texted back "OK" but didn't end up showing up until almost forty five minutes later. Madison practice dribbling and shooting goals while she waited for him.

Practicing soccer with Juwon had turned out not to be as much fun as Madison thought it would be. Besides him showing up late, he was crabby when he got there. They played soccer for a bit but he seemed to want to show off more than anything. To Madison, it seemed like he wanted to make sure she understood he was better at soccer than her.

When they stopped for a water break, he questioned her about the party. "Who'd you ditch the party with last night? You took off before I could drive you home. We didn't even get to hang out at all."

Madison chose not to remind him he had been drunk and kissing a girl on the couch. "I got freaked out about the power outage. Jungkook drove me home."

Juwon frowned, "You're a little old to be scared of the dark, don't you think?"

Madison blinked at him. She decided he wasn't worth arguing with, "Are you feeling okay? You seem to be crabbier today than other days."

"Yeah, I have a headache and I don't like it when people ditch me." He looked like he was warning her. Madison had no reaction, she owed him nothing.

"I'm going to go, I'll see you at school." Juwon jogged to his car and left.

Madison said out loud, "Whatever." She was honestly relieved that he left. She practiced a little more soccer, then headed home for a shower.

After the shower and dinner, Madison settled on her bed with her laptop to watch some Netflix shows. The advantage of knowing both Korean and English was that there were a lot of options of what to watch where she didn't have to read subtitles. She texted a few of her friends from her old school to check in, while she binge watched a new K-Drama. Some of them texted back and it was nice to tell them about her new school and new friends.

It was getting dark out now. Madison was a little bored but she knew that soccer season would keep her busy once it started. She also planned to find someplace to volunteer. In her last town it had been at an animal shelter, which she had really enjoyed. She hadn't set up anything here yet though. These things take time, she told herself.

Madison's mom came into her room. "Dad and I are going to watch a movie while I work on laundry, do you want to join us?"

Madison was still laying on her bed with her laptop. "Not tonight, thanks Mom. I'm watching a new show."

Her mom held up a bowl. "You want the popcorn I made?"

Madison smiled, "Yes please!"

Madison happily munched on the popcorn as she finished watching her show. Her phone chimed.