Chapter 5

With empty eyes, she heard the familiar scolding. Iris to clench her jaw so that she wouldn't let the wrong words slip.

"I was sick."

More than Liliana.

Iris couldn't say the last words. She couldn't say it exactly like she wanted.

This was because Orchid naturally cut in and retorted.

"Then you should have told me. You foolishly didn't even call a doctor and held it in by yourself."

"... Is that so...?"

"Next time, don't be stupid and call your doctor right away. That's what you're supposed to do."

Orchid seemed to have forgotten that even the doctor had stuck by Liliana's side.

"Even if I couldn't make it because of Lily, who wasn't loved by our mother, I left it to you."

Orchid sighed.

"It's still something that I trusted you to do, but you shouldn't be lazy and making excuses this way."

As if he was still looking at his immature sister, his reproachful expression pierced Iris's chest.

"Please make me trust you."

That day, at that very moment, Iris realized the truth that she didn't want to face.

The fact that Orchid had never given it to her, and that all of that kindness was just for appearance.

"... Brother."

Iris asked in a trembling voice.

"How about a peach tart for dessert this evening?"

"Okay. That's good. Liliana likes peaches."

It was a very happy permission.

A reaction that he didn't know why Iris had asked this question.

Eventually, unbearable tears shed.

She quickly bowed her head and hid them, but it wasn't necessary. Orchid would not have any interest in Iris' tears.

"Okay. That's... I'll let you know."

Iris couldn't eat peaches.

Since I was born, I have never eaten it in my life.

What does Brother think of me?

A sister he doesn't need? A younger sister without any presence?

No, probably not even as a sister. Maybe she was just a convenient tool to help Liliana clean up.

Iris was not a person here.

"I'm... I'm..."

In Orchid's room, Iris sat down, covering her face. The tears were so hot, but the world was so cold.

I thought they were a family.

I thought I was the same as Liliana.

"Really... I thought so."

However, he was always Liliana's brother.

The same hot tears flowed down her cheeks.

.

.

Iris, leaning her head against the window sill, slowly opens her eyes.

The dream was too vivid, so at some point, she must have fallen asleep.