forty-nine

┌──────────────────┐
one year later.
└──────────────────┘

Too much paperwork.

I need to rest.

Daera whined in her head. She slammed her pen on the desk and rested her head on it. Her back was aching from slouching too much. Her phone rang and she groaned out of annoyance.

Sunghoon's name was displayed on the screen. She picked up, "What?"

"Someone is flirting with your husband at the cafeteria. Come to the school right now," he said before ending the call.

She immediately got up and took her handbag before leaving the office. A trainee approached her, "Director Kang, I was wondering–"

"Not now. Please refer to Dr Lee Heeseung and tell him that it was my order."

The trainee nodded and bowed at her.

She parked her car at the parking lot of the medical school and exhaled heavily, remembering that she used to go there. She immediately stepped into the building and was greeted by the students there who were in the hallway.

Still in her doctor's coat, she went to the cafeteria and eyed the place carefully to search for her husband.

Her eyes widened when she saw her old classmate (rival) flirting with Jay. She was always flirting with Jay and even had the audacity to visit the medical school often just to see him even though she doesn't have anything to do with the school anymore.

The girl was always showing off to Daera on how she always got higher scores in exams than her.

She wasn't invited to the wedding so she must not know that we're married.

She must think that the hospital director is still Jay's father.

"Director Kang," some students approached her and bowed to greet her.

Jay's attention changed to his wife since he heard some people greet her. He immediately stood up in fear, "Sweetheart."

Daera faked a huge smile and put out her hand to shake her rival's hand, "Jeon Hayeon. Nice to see you again. I see you're having fun talking to my husband."

"Husband?" She asked in disbelief.

"I'm surprised to see you here. Why tho? I mean, you don't have anything to do with this school anymore. I thought you were going to work at the 'famous' hospital you always talk about."

"I got fired," Hayeon muttered quietly, "Why are you here? Still a low-class surgeon?"

"For your information, I am the director of the hospital and medical school."

Jay chuckled nervously and held both of his wife's shoulders, "Now, girls. Let's just move on, hm? I'm sure you have lots of work to do, love. Why don't you go back to your office? I also have a few classes to take care of. I think you should go home now, Hayeon."

Daera frowned as he led her away from the cafeteria. She turned around and showed Hayeon her wedding ring on her finger before shouting, "We're married! He's mine!"

Jay led her into his office and exhaled in relief, "I never knew you could be so petty."

She scoffed, "I'm not petty."

"Oh yeah? If I didn't pull you away immediately when you were showing her your ring, you were going to show her the middle finger, weren't you?"

"Well..." She tried to look for comebacks to reply to his question but failed. He held both of her shoulders, "I love you, Daera. Do you really think I would leave you and flirt with other girls?"

"No," she muttered quietly and avoided his gaze. He smiled softly and kissed her head, "Good girl. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go to my next class. I'll pick you up at work and let's go have a nice dinner at your favourite restaurant."

She was about to leave when he grabbed her hand. She looked at him confusedly. He chuckled, "Forgot to kiss our baby," he said and kissed her stomach.

"I can't see the baby bump yet!" She pouted. He laughed, "Relax, sweetheart. It's just two months. Let's hope our baby is healthy."

"I love you."

"I love you too, sweetheart."

┌──────────────────┐
the end.
└──────────────────┘

The book has finally ended! Thank you to all of you that supported my books! 😭 I seriously enjoyed reading your comments. Most of them were so funny. As usual, feel free to comment on anything you like!