Prologue

Unedited

The dull atmosphere was quiet; the silence echoing around each person. It was a somber silence, filled with respect and knowledge that what had happened could not be changed. Even though everyone there wished it otherwise.

The wind weaved through the leaves of the trees dotted around the land, blowing loose leaves down and to the floor. The grass was damp, and the sky bespeckled with clouds.

In the middle of it all stood a wooden podium, long and wide.

Five coffins stood on a stand each, spread evenly across the podium. Three decorated with a wreath of orange flowers, one with a line of white flowers, and the final with nothing on it. They stood side-by-side, each representing someone who had perished, who had left this world and left everyone behind.

The people left behind stood in a crowd, rows of wooden chairs and black clothes with a few holding closed umbrellas. It wasn't even meant to rain. Reporters were fenced off, with police doing their best to show respect and keep the reporters from upsetting the people left behind.

A head of curly black hair could be seen further back, away from the crowd and the reporters, hidden in the shade of a willow tree. The figure stood beside a row of graves, eyes damp with tears as she watched the speeches of the people left behind. It hurt, knowing that this was her fault.

"I will always remember them for who they are."

"It was a freak accident."

"Police are still investigating."

She didn't make a noise. This was her way of showing respect; not being seen so they could not be upset with her; so her face would not be broadcasted everywhere; so she would not be found. It hurt, having to stay away from the crowd where she should be standing. Where she could properly show her respect to the people, people she knew, who had lost their lives.

If she could take it all back, she would. Everything that led up to the five bodies ending up in five separate coffins; she would take it all back in a heartbeat. But that is not how life works. Life is given and taken, and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

"It's time to go."

The nineteen year old turned her head, hair swaying in the light breezing. A man walked up to her, onyx hair tied back into a ponytail, gun slung over one shoulder. She thought about saying something about hiding it, but everyone was too interested in the funeral to notice.

"Just five more minutes." She replied, voice soft and respectful. She turned her eyes back to the ceremony; the burial. A lady was walking up to the stand, to say her words to the people that died. She was familiar, having been seen around the nineteen years old apartment many times.

The man stepped closer, showing his support by being there with her. "You have already had five minutes."

Pickled coloured eyes turned to the man, frustration clear to see within the glassy orbs. "I just-." Her voice cut off, the words she wanted to say not leaving her lips.

The man understood. "I know, but it's not going to bring them back."

A soft sigh left the teen. She knew this, but she ached inside and just wanted to show she cared.

"I think it's time we got our revenge."

She nodded, agreeing with the man. She couldn't bring them back, but it didn't mean she couldn't avenge them. It was time to toughen up and show she cared in a new way. Getting justice for them all.

"Let's go."

The pair turned their backs on the funeral, walking up the steep grassy hill to get back to the vehicle they had arrived in.

They were going to get the people lost the justice they deserved. The fire they died in was not accidental, it was not a gas leak and it was not going to be left to the police to investigate on their own.

Cameron Dyers was going to do everything she could do to avenge all she had just lost.

It was her fault after all.