Chapter 64

"- and then she told her to leave her alone." Marlene grinned and turned to give me another proud look.

Sirius barked a laugh and took another sip of his butterbeer, Peter gave a thumbs up, grinning, and the rest of my visitors all smiled.

The marauders, Lily, Marlene and I were all sitting around my kitchen table, enjoying our self-made pizzas. Marlene had invited them all via Patronus, directly after class, and had just shared the story of the day.
I was really embarrassed by her behaviour, but the others didn't seem to mind that Marlene made such a big deal out of it. It was the opposite, actually; they all looked really interested and proud, too.

"To Freya." Remus raised his cup, and the others followed quickly. I blushed profoundly and hid behind my own glass, raising it only a little bit.
"Yes, to Freya," Sirius repeated. "Our tiny Ravenclaw finally Gryffindored up."

James snorted a laugh. "Yeah, we're a great influence. Cheers, everyone."

"Cheers," everyone repeated and took a sip, but I couldn't, because I was still smiling so much.

"I'm really happy you could all make it," I said instead. Not because I'd wanted Marlene to brag about my outburst from earlier today, but because I'd spontaneously turned this into my house warming party.

A small get together with my friends, where we'd made our own pizza and were now done eating, but still sat around the table, talking.

"Of course! We all hang out together way too seldom with this stupid war going on." Sirius grinned, but I saw the little serious glint in his eyes.

It had been his birthday a few weeks ago, but he'd only celebrated with his closest friends. For such an outgoing person like Sirius, this forced isolation was torture.

But we just couldn't risk meeting many people anymore.

Not that it made such a big difference for me; they were the only really close friends I had.

"That's true, so thanks for inviting us, Freya," James replied.
"And I was really curious to see your new apartment," Lily said. "I love the colours, it's lovely."

"Thanks." I beamed. My flat was my whole pride, and it really meant a lot to me that I was able to share it with my friends.

Sirius, who was sitting next to me, leant over and whispered in my ear. "But I still have to meet your mum's dog, now that the flat's finished."

"Yeah, I know," I said and playfully shoved him back on his seat to not hyperventilate because of how close his face was. "If you insist, I'll babysit her next week and you can come over?"

Sirius nodded contently.

"Anyone open for exploding snaps?" Peter asked around. I was grateful for the distraction, so I quickly agreed. After the others nodded too, I stood up and got the game that Peter had given me on my seventeenth birthday.

Just like old days, the evening went by with a lot of games and lighthearted laughter.

We forced ourselves to stop at around eleven o'clock, since some of us had to work the day after and since the others would do some stuff for the order.
Marlene insisted on being the last one to go, so because she and Sirius lived together, I was now alone with both of them.
Sirius, who was a little drunk at this point, pulled me into a bear hug just after I'd opened the house's front door  for them.
"I'm very very proud of you, Frey," he mumbled into my ear and patted my back. I couldn't restrain myself from enjoying his arms around me, so I hugged him back with all my strength. "Thanks."

Since I felt as if I'd  cross a line if I hugged him any longer, I took a step back from Sirius and pulled Marlene to me instead. "Thanks for always being here for me," I murmured happily, and I could feel her nod. "My pleasure."