Chapter 4: Friendships

Kai smiles as his eyes unexpectedly turn pitch black. He feels a shiver down his spine as the air suddenly feels cold. He turns to Ryujin and asks, "Do you feel that?" Everyone else turns to Ryujin, noticing her eyes are turning black with her horns slowly extending. She feels the same sensation as Kai. Ryujin stands and looks around and realizes that the entire table of demons were feeling the same exact thing.

Taehyun asks, "What's happening?" The dark aura around Kai grows even more as he explains, "There's a powerful demon here. Our demonic instincts and dark urges enhance at the presence of a powerful demon. It's sort of a natural animalistic instinct." Ryujin's fangs start to grow as her horns grow to full length and she growls, "It's never this bad..."

"Hi Yeji!"

Yeji turns her head and notices Yeonjun waving at her with a smile. Yeji smiles back as Kai and Ryujin instantly recognise the creature. Kai takes his hand and covers Yuna's eyes causing the girl to shiver. His hands were freezing cold. He commands, "Don't open your eyes." Beomgyu uses his wings to cover his eyes as Taehyun quickly looks away. Soobin and Lia run off behind Ryujin as she growls, "They let a gorgon come to this school?" Yeonjun slowly puts his hand down as he looks around and notices the several demons staring right at him with everyone else looking away in fear. Yeji notices this too and quickly runs up to Yeonjun. She grabs his hand and smiles, "Want to eat outside?" Yeonjun nods as Yeji drags him away. As he leaves, the demons start to calm down as Kai finally removes his hand from Yuna's eyes. Yuna asks, "What's a gorgon?" Ryujin says, "The only thing here that can put all the demons on edge while scaring the shit out of us." Kai replies, "They're special creatures. Gorgons dance on the line of demons and nature spirits." Taehyun says, "They're cursed by the gods." Soobin thoroughly explains, "They're cursed nature spirits who earned great respect among demonic ranks. They have snakes as hairs and their eyes could turn anyone into stone." Lia adds, "And anyone literally means anyone!" Yuna asks, "T-through eye contact?"

Ryujin groans, "I don't even know why they let a gorgon in here!" Kai whispers, "It's definitely questionable..." Yuna whispers, "He didn't seem like a bad guy... Yeji knows him too. I kind of feel bad for him." Lia replies, "It doesn't matter if he's a good guy or not... he's dangerous and it's not his fault. I advise you to avoid him, for your own safety and for his conscience. If he is a good guy, I bet he'll feel insanely guilty if he accidentally turned anyone into stone."

...

"I'm sorry."

Yeji immediately answers, "NO! You did nothing wrong! They didn't mean to be afraid, it was just natural instincts--" She immediately shuts up realizing her mistake as Yeonjun chuckles, "Sorry..."

Yeji bites her lips as she quickly pulls his sunglasses off his face. She notices the layer of tears in his eyes as he wipes it and glances at her own. Yeji smiles, "If they could see you like I can right now, I bet they would be more than happy to welcome you." He replies, "But they can't... no one can." Yeji's mind scrambles to fix the situation as she says, "Well you only need me!"

Yeonjun turns to her as she says, "Did you get your schedule? Let me see." Yeonjun says, "It's in my dorm." Yeji says, "Well, let's get it. I'll make sure you're not alone!" He replies, "I don't want you to feel obligated to do this because you're the only one who can--" She replies, "I want to do it. I really do." Yeonjun looks at her unsure and says, "We might not have the same--" Yeji hisses, "Just get your schedule! I'll make sure you're not alone." Yeonjun turns his head to hide his small smile, "Okay."

...

"H-hi!"

Yeonjun sat at the back of the entire classroom. It was one of the restrictions placed on him in order to attend the school. He sees a girl and a guy who Yeji sat with yesterday. The girl introduces herself, "I-I'm Choi Jisu, you can call me Lia. Nice to meet you." Yeonjun looks at her confused and asks, "Did Yeji force you to do this?" She nods and so does the guy. Yeonjun sighs as the guy says, "I'm Choi Soobin." Yeonjun smiles at them, "You don't need to--"