Chapter 9: Change

"Are you sure it's safe?"

Lia pulls back her potion and looks at Soobin in worry, "N-no." Soobin frowns as Yeonjun speaks up, "Its fine. What's the worst that could happen?" Soobin replies, "It can burn your skin off. She used strong ingredients for this one." Lia speaks up, "Hypothetically, it should work." Yeonjun takes the glass from her hand and drips it onto the palm of his hand. A sudden burning sensation starts to tingle on the drop but after a few seconds, it starts spreading quickly.

Yeonjun starts to groan as Soobin pours the stabilizer potion on his palm which cools it. Lia asks, "How did it feel?" He replies, "Like a piece of fire just ignited on my hand." She quickly writes down in her notes as she gently takes his palm to glance at the mark left over. She turns her head to notes again and jots down observations on the effects. Lia closes her notebook with a loud clap as she smiles, "Okay, that's enough of me for today. Should we work on yours?"

Soobin adds, "Yours would be the hardest because we're working with your eyes. We'd have to run a lot of tests and it would be impossible to actually try it out because you know..." Yeonjun nods, "I know. I do have a place where we can start though." Lia and Soobin glance at Yeonjun with interest as the gorgon says, "I need Yeji." Lia and Soobin exchange confused looks as Lia asks, "What does she have that you need?" Yeonjun smiles at her, "Yeji's my only weakness." Lia blushes as Soobin turns to her confused, "Are you okay?" Lia fans her face as she whispers, "Huh? Oh yeah, that was just... romantic."

Soobin raises his eyebrows then glances at Yeonjun and asks, "Your powers don't work on her?" Yeonjun nods, "She said she's a special type of vampire. The only one in existence who is immune to curses. She won the genetic lottery." Lia says, "You want to use her blood? I don't think that'll-" Yeonjun replies, "I want to replicate her eyes. She's the only one who can see me in the way I actually am and I want to replicate it so everyone can be the same."

Lia looks at him with heart eyes as she nudges Soobin, "He's a romantic, isn't he." Soobin replies, "I guess." Yeonjun asks, "So my plan was to replicate her eyes and maybe study her blood and compare them to everyone else's. Then we just make a potion that could temporarily uncurse my eyes." Soobin says, "Sounds like trouble." Lia adds, "We only have 3 months to work on this, so don't expect a lot of sleep."

Yeonjun and Soobin smile as Lia says, "I'll get some caffeine then we can start."

...

Their dorm was quiet. Ever since Ryujin blew up that lunch a couple of days ago, Yeji only treated her with silence. The only way of communication was through Yuna who was left alone in her dorm because Lia spent day and night in the library.

But Yuna had class, so the two sat in silence.

Yeji was reading a book while Ryujin threw a ball to the ceiling while laying on her back on her bed. After a few more minutes of silence, Ryujin messes up as the ball she was throwing landed on Yeji's face.

Ryujin groans in annoyance as she turns to Yeji and says, "Mind passing that?" Yeji didn't talk to her as Ryujin stood up from her bed and approached the vampire. Yeji turned her head to try and scare Ryujin off with her glare but the demon didn't care. Ryujin leaned onto her bed to grab the ball but Yeji was quick to grab her hand. Yeji hisses, "Want to talk about what you did before and actually apologize?"

Ryujin's eyes turn black as she hisses back, "I saved your boyfriend's ass back there and all you remember was me talking shit to that demigod. What a real friend you are." Yeji says, "Don't talk to me about friends. You went too far. You need to apologize." Ryujin leans forward to try and intimidate Yeji but she doesn't budge. With her face only an inch away from Yeji's, Ryujin's breath hit her face as she taunted, "Why don't you make me?" Yeji's eyes turn bright red as her fangs extend to the fullest. Ryujin's wings start to expand as her tail quickly wraps itself around Yeji's neck.

Yeji grits her teeth as she tries to breathe, "What did the gods ever do to you? Why do you hate them so much?" Ryujin hisses, "It's what they didn't do for my family. They're as dysfunctional as everyone else and I can't stand it that they are still being worshipped even after the shit they pulled. Meanwhile, us demons are antagonized because we are demons. God, they even named my mom Lady Death for fucksakes!"

Yeji's eyes turn normal as she starts losing air in her lungs with Ryujin's tail still choking her. Ryujin loosens her tail as Yeji gasps for air. Yeji stutters, "W-who's Lady Death?" Ryujin's eyes widen realizing she just broke the only rule her mom left her with. Her tail tightens around Yeji's neck again as she hisses, "Don't tell anyone what I just said. Don't even mention that name ever, understand?" Yeji says with her face turning blue, "T-then apologize to Taehyun."

Ryujin finally backs away from Yeji as she asks, "Are you blackmailing me?" Yeji replies, "He has nothing to do with the actions of the gods and he's just listening to what his dad is saying. Apologize and talk it out. He doesn't seem like a bad guy. He's helping Yeonjun without being asked to and I bet his dad would be even more angry hearing that he's moving in with a gorgon."

Ryujin sighs and takes her ball from Yeji's bed, "Fine."

Yeji smiles as she falls to her bed, "Great, are we done with this silence? It was getting awkward and I started feeling bad for Yuna." Ryujin nods her head as she falls to her bed. After a little thinking, she springs back up, "Want to prank her when she gets here?"

A few minutes later...

Yuna walks into Yeji and Ryujin's door and is greeted with quite a sight. Ryujin's tail was wrapped around Yeji's neck who was biting Ryujin's arm with full force. Both their eyes were filled with anger and hate as they pretended to fight.

Yuna sighs and just throws herself on Ryujin's bed in sadness. Ryujin and Yeji immediately stop as Ryujin asks, "Is everything okay?" Yuna says, "Yeah... just boring... Why couldn't I be born something as cool as you guys? Being a vampire sounds so cool! Demons have a lot of fun jobs in the future too! We're friends with a literal grim reaper, demigod, and an angel! I'm just a lousy old fairy stuck with boring old fairy jobs... Deliver this... Fetch that... Watch over this... Make sure this person doesn't get lost... Boring. Boring. Boring."

Ryujin replies, "Being a fairy isn't that boring." Yuna sits up and pouts, "You're just saying that. You're a succubus! Did you know a lot of succubus are guards of several important and enchanted areas because they can kill people with their kiss!?" Ryujin nods as Yuna falls back again, "I wish I was a different creature." Yeji says, "You should just be happy with yourself and find joy in your own strengths."

Yuna asks, "What are my strengths? What can I do that you two can't? Fly? Turn tiny? Make pixies sparkle when I fly?" Yeji and Ryujin stand there silent at a loss. They didn't know what to say or how they could help. Yuna huffs as she stands, "I'm going to take a walk. At least, you two are talking again. See you later." She poofs into her pixie form as she flies away.