Chapter 10: Identity

Yuna lies on the roof of the library as she closes her eyes and relaxes her body. She was jealous. After surrounding herself with different creatures, she realized that she was just a nobody in the grand scheme of things.

"Are you okay?'

Yuna's eyes flutter open seeing Kai staring right at her. Yuna looks around and asks, "How did you find me? Did Ryujin and Yeji tell you?" He smiles back, "No, I usually sense when souls are distressed or troubled. It gets hectic around the school town but I recognized you so I came to check up on you." Yuna blushes and says, "I'm fine."

"You can't lie to me."

"I said I'm fine."

"Yuna, you literally can't lie to me. I can see your soul."

Yuna groans, "Then just take my soul? My life means nothing anyway!" Kai raises his eyebrow, "Okay." Yuna's eyes widen as Kai summons his scythe and winds his arm back to strike her.

Yuna shrieks, "I DIDN'T MEAN IT! DON'T KILL ME!" Kai swings his arm but instantly poofs away his scythe and gently slaps her face. Yuna looks up at him angrily as he chuckles, "Hehehehe." She hisses, "Don't talk to me." Kai nods his head and floats next to her and takes a seat. The two sat there in silence as Yuna turned her head to see Kai staring directly into the sun above them.

She asks, "What are you doing?" Kai says, "The sun burns my eyes." Yuna places her hands over his eyes, "Then why are you staring directly at it, dummy?" Kai says, "Your hands are really warm." Yuna blushes and takes it back as he quickly chases after it with his own. His hands take a hold of hers as she feels his freezing cold skin take hers. Kai sighs, "This feels good."

Yuna asks, "Are you freezing right now? It's the middle of the day." Kai says, "I'm eternally freezing. It doesn't bother me anymore but it feels good to get warm every now and then." Yuna moves his hands away from her and places both of hers on his cheeks. She says, "There, better?" Kai nods as her warm hands give relief to his icy cold skin.

Kai says under his breath, "I wish I was a fairy." Yuna's eyes widen as she says, "What?" He smiles, "Sorry. But don't you ever wish you were someone else?" Yuna nods as he replies, "Yeah, that's how I feel right now. I just can't imagine a body that's just warm all the time... Walking around and no one gives you those looks as if you were about to kill them. Less pressure on your future and you can just live a normal life." Yuna says, "A normal life is boring."

Kai replies, "You can make a normal life less boring. But mine... it'll just be the same for eternity. Deliver souls to their peace. Watch over Yeji. I can't just not do my job. Fairies can decide when to stop working." Yuna asks, "Then why a fairy? There are other creatures out there too."

Kai thinks for a bit and says, "I heard all fairies are naturally beautiful. If I become an ogre, I'll lose my good looks. Hehehehe." Yuna blushes and asks, "Am I naturally beautiful?" Kai looks at her confused, "Aren't you a fairy?" She nods her head and he says, "That should answer your question. What would you turn into if you could?"

Yuna thinks for a bit and says, "A vampire." Kai jokes, "Well, if you were a vampire, you wouldn't be able to sit here with me right now." Yuna raises her eyebrows as Kai turns his head towards the sun, "That thing would burn your skin off." She moves his head with her palms to make him face her as she hisses, "Stop staring at the sun!"

Kai chuckles as he says, "Vampires are cool though. I can see why you'd want to be one." Yuna nods as he takes her hands away from his face and says, "Your soul is good now." She asks, "What?" He replies, "You were sad before but now you're not. Hope you don't get sad again." Kai smiles at her as he levitates away and says, "See you next time." He instantly teleports away as Yuna is left at the rooftop alone. She takes a hold of her palm and sighs, "My hands are freezing now..."

...

Taehyun walked through the aquarium dorms as he looked for a friend. The several merpeople started greeting and waving at him as he passed by the halls due to their respect for him and his father. He actually felt embarrassed because he was treated like a celebrity but he didn't know how to respond to it. But that's when he finally made it.

With a knock on the door, Taehyun stood, or floated, outside her dorm. The entire aquarium dorm building was submerged underwater because it was specifically made for merpeople. Taehyun glances at Chaeryeong surprised. He'd never seen her in her mermaid form yet so her glistening tail along with her flowing luscious red hair caught him off guard. He coughs out bubbles as he asks, "Can I come in?" Chaeryeong raises her eyebrow and shuts the door on his face. Taehyun looks at the wooden door in disbelief but in a matter of seconds it opens again. But this time, another mermaid swam out. She looked like Chaeryeong but he knew that wasn't her.

The girl winks at Taehyun and says, "I'll be back in an hour, Chaer. Don't take too long."

"Shut up."

The girl smiles at Taehyun, "Chaeyeon. I'm her older sister."

"You're still here?" 

Chaeyeon giggles and swims away as Chaeryeong goes to the door, "You can come in now."

"She was nice." Chaeryeong says, "That's because she doesn't know you. Anyway, why are you here?" Taehyun asks, "Do you not like me?" She replies, "My dad is a close friend of yours and I was specifically told to watch over you the entire time we're here together. Would you like someone you were forced to babysit?"

Taehyun replies, "No but I would try to because we would spend a lot of time together." Chaeryeong replies, "Well, I should be able to have a life of my own. I shouldn't be responsible for anyone else except for me." He says, "You don't have to watch over me. If my dad asks, I'll just say you were there."

Chaeryeong sighs, "I'm not going to lie. I'll deal with it, Kang Taehyun. You don't have to worry about me." Taehyun smiles at her, "But I do. I feel bad because you're doing something you don't want to do because of me." She replies, "I-it's not because of you." He asks, "Do you like me or my dad more?" Chaeryeong scoffs, "What? Neither."

Taehyun frowns and says, "Sorry, I'll rephrase it. Stop listening to my dad and yours." She looks at him in disbelief, "I can't do that." Taehyun replies, "I've been thinking about what Ryujin said and she was right. I'm not even going to be up there in heavens with dad so why should I abide by their rules. You should be the same. Let's disobey our parents. Together." Chaeryeong says, "I-I don't think—"

"Do you trust me, Lee Chaeryeong?"

"No."

"What?"

Chaeryeong replies, "I barely know you. We met a few days ago." He replies, "I trust you."

"Why?"

Taehyun says, "You don't seem like the one to lie to people." She replies, "Well to me, you do. You're telling me to disobey my dad and my god. Why should I trust you?" He says, "Because I want what's best for you." She chuckles, "And what is that?" He says, "Fun."

Chaeryeong giggles as she says, "Get out. I can see why your dad wanted me to look after you. You're just a huge ball of fun, aren't you?" He replies, "And you're a ball of boring. Listen, I never break the rules."

"It doesn't seem like that."

Taehyun says frustrated, "You're a tough nut to crack." Chaeryeong replies, "And you seem like you don't want your dad watching over you as if you're going to do something bad. You're not very convincing, Taehyun." He asks, "What can convince you?" Chaeryeong shrugs, "Trust? I'll follow you if you prove to me that if I stop looking after you, then everything would be fine and you'd be safe."

Taehyun smiles, "Deal. I'll gain your trust first. Okay, I can do that." Chaeryeong smiles at him and gently shoves him, "Great, now get out." Taehyun smiles even brighter and says, "Talk to you later!" She shuts the door in his face again as he swims past the halls with joy and excitement.