Chapter 19: Competition

Lia smiles as she patiently waits outside of Soobin's door. The door opens and her eyes shine with excitement as she turns and peaks into the open door, "Good morning!" Beomgyu smiles back at her, "Good morning, you look happy today." Lia instantly loses the shine in her eyes as Beomgyu chuckles, "Sorry, did I ruin it already?" She quickly shakes her head as she says, "Sorry, I was just trying to see Soobin early so we can go sign up together. It's best to be the first to start." Beomgyu glances at her confused and scoffs. He asks, "What's with you two?"

Lia raises an eyebrow as the angel replies, "Soobin did the same exact thing for you. He left not too long ago so you must've missed him. He's probably waiting outside your dorm right now." Lia's eyes widen as she quickly runs off after giving a quick thanks.

Lia notices someone else running on the street and quickly approaches Soobin. He laughs and says, "No way did you just do exactly what I did." She giggles with him and says, "Great minds think alike. Now, should we go?" Soobin nods as the two slowly walk by each other's side trying to catch their breath from all the running.

Lia says, "Do you remember when we were kids and our parents told us about this competition?" Soobin smiles and says, "Yeah, my mom spoke about it a lot. She's still mad that she tied with your mom for first place." Lia smiles, "Yeah, mine too. She keeps saying there should've been only one winner." Soobin giggles as he asks, "Do you remember what we promised?"

Lia replies, "Of course, we're going to win together. So you better carry your own weight and not lose to me." He playfully puts his arm around her shoulder and says in a teasing voice, "Says you. Maybe I'll hold back a little so you can keep up." Lia scoffs and bumps her head up to hit his chin causing him to move away. Lia smiles, "Choi Soobin, don't you dare hold back. This is going to be a fair competition." He nods his head as he points at a booth, "I think I see the sign up sheet."

The two run up with Lia shoving Soobin away to sign up first. Lia asks, "Chaeryeong? You're in charge of the sign ups too?" Chaeryeong smiles at them shyly, "Hehe, yeah. I help out around here. Here just fill this form out, Soobin you need one too?" Soobin groans as he slowly stands from being pushed too hard, "Yes, please."

The two quickly sign their forms and Chaeryeong glances to make sure everything is okay. She raises her eyebrow and asks, "Hey, are you two related?" Soobin glances at Lia and says, "Oh, we just share the same surname. Our parents are friends but from what we're told, we're not blood related at all. Even Yeonjun shares the same last name." Chaeryeong chuckles, "Strange. Okay, you're all set. I'm obliged to give you these pamphlets and let you know that you're officially signed up for the competition now. Okay, you're all set. Any questions?"

Soobin and Lia read the pamphlet quickly and two suddenly freeze at a realization. Lia looks up and stutters, "T-there's only one winner this year?" Chaeryeong replies, "Oh, yeah. It's the only thing different with the competition this year. The population of students on the island is less this year so they could only reward one winner this time around." Soobin glances at Lia who looks at him a bit worried. He quickly turns to Chaeryeong and says, "Thanks."

Lia is dragged away by Soobin who says, "I can drop–" She interrupts, "What? No!" Soobin stays quiet as Lia says, "It was our dream to compete in the Sorcerer Supreme Competition. We're just going to try our best and compete. This doesn't change anything." He replies, "But you wanted to win together." Lia glances at him and says, "We'll both just make the best project ever so they're forced to make both of us win." Soobin smiles at her enthusiasm and says, "Sounds like a plan."

...

"I heard you're Yeji's grim reaper."

Kai looks up to see Hyunjin staring at him. He asks, "Yeah, I am. Who are you?" Hyunjin smiles, "Her twin brother, Hyunjin." Kai smiles back, "I'm Huening Kai. I think when my sister is old enough, she will be yours." Hyunjin chuckles, "I doubt it. Unlike Yeji, I'm not that involved in the business aspects for my family."

Hyunjin then backs away and notices Ryujin with her face down on the table. As he walked to her, Beomgyu entered the room. It was their Demonic History Class.

Kai approaches Beomgyu and chuckles, "Did you meet Yeji's twin brother yet? I think he just transferred and he seems pretty nice." Beomgyu doesn't reply and glances as Hyunjin approaches Ryujin.

Hyunjin taps her shoulder and she looks up at him, a blushing mess. She hisses, "Stay away." Hyunjin asks, "Are you okay? You seem... disturbed." Ryujin replies as she slams her face back on the table, "That stupid gorgon keeps enhancing my urges and I can't get used to it." Hyunjin glances back at the room and says, "Gorgon? Oh he's the one I've heard about."

Ryujin scoffs, "What are the odds they put you in this class? I swear whoever is in charge of this is messing with me." Yeonjun stares at Hyunjin through his sunglasses as he thinks to himself, "He really looks like Yeji... NOT THAT I FIND IT ATTRACTIVE! It's just a resemblance, I'm not attracted to him like I am to Yeji. Geez Yeonjun, you're arguing with yourself."

Hyunjin crouches down so he's at Ryujin's level. He gently picks up her head by her chin with his palm and squeezes her cheeks to make her pout at him. Her face was burning. Unlike every other demon, she didn't get used to Yeonjun's presence and she doesn't know why. Her eyes darted to Hyunjin's lips as she suddenly remembered the taste of his life essence. Hyunjin smiles, "Want to sit at the back with me? I'll try to help you." Ryujin unknowingly nods as she starts to succumb to her carnal desires.

"So are you going to just stare or answer my question?" Beomgyu continued to stare at the two as Hyunjin picks Ryujin's bag up and leads her to the farthest corner of the room to sit by each other. Beomgyu says, "I've met him." Kai chuckles, "Oh what a coincidence, he really looks like Yeji, huh? I guess they are twins. Ryujin seems to know him too." Beomgyu stays quiet and just sits on his seat. Kai raises his eyebrow confused as he says, "I guess angels have those bad days too."

After class...

"One bite? Come on, I just fed you the equivalent amount of life force required for 100 humans! You could've killed a 100 humans but instead you just destroyed my poor lips! One bite."

Ryujin raises her eyebrow, "I didn't agree to paying you back. You said you'd help me." Hyunjin chuckles, "We're going to have this class for the rest of the school year. You're going to need me more and I'm not going to keep doing it for free." Ryujin replies, "Your payment is the satisfaction of kissing yours truly. Be grateful." Hyunjin laughs at her sarcastically and walks up to her until her back is against the wall. He chuckles, "You think I care we're in public right now?" Ryujin's tail wraps around his neck as she smirks, "I don't care either, lover boy." Hyunjin smirks and pushes his chin down hard enough so his mouth can latch onto her tail. Ryujin gasps as he takes a few sips of her blood.

Hyunjin opens his mouth and licks his teeth as he says, "We're even." Ryujin scoffs, "Next time you do that, the only blood you'll be tasting is your own." He chuckles at her threat as he backs away and says, "I have some boring economics class next. Will I see you there too?" Ryujin shakes her head and says, "You really like me huh? Missing me already?" Hyunjin smiles back, "Maybe I do, either way I'll be seeing you again later?" Ryujin just nods as she says, "I'll see you later, lover boy."

Hyunjin leaves her as Ryujin joins Kai and Beomgyu who were standing a couple of feet away. Kai chuckles, "You're really a social butterfly. How did you two get so close already?" Ryujin shrugs her shoulders and says, "A gift." Beomgyu says a bit too seriously, "He's kind of rude." Ryujin turns to the angel confused as he says, "He kind of just bit you without your permission. I don't know... how I feel about that." Ryujin gently punches his arm, "It's just flirting, Beomgyu. If he did something I wouldn't have permitted, he's be wishing he wasn't immortal after all the shit I'll do to him."

Beomgyu sighs and says, "Just be careful around him, I don't trust him yet." Kai looks at Beomgyu a bit weirdly as Ryujin chuckles, "Thanks for the concern, I guess. Hey, isn't that Seyoung?"

Beomgyu turns his head and notices his girlfriend waving at him. He smiles and says, "Right, I have a study session with her. See you two later?" Ryujin and Kai wave him off as he flies to his girlfriend.