Chapter 24: Nervousness

"Do you like him?"

Yeji walks in to see Ryujin and Chaeryeong speaking on their bed. Ryujin gestures to Yeji to sit next to her as Chaeryeong replies, "I do but he doesn't like me." Ryujin asks, "And you know this, how?"

Chaeryeong chuckles and says, "Come on... Where I'm from, he's part of royalty. The only reason I'm going to this school is because I agreed to volunteer at every possible student job. Not a lot of people get to go to this island... some were lucky, I worked for it." Ryujin says, "Still didn't answer my question." The mermaid sighs and says, "Well, he's a demigod and super popular with everyone. And I'm just..." Chaeryeong gestures at her whole body while the two friends look at her in confusion.

Ryujin replies, "You just gestured at perfection." Yeji adds, "So you don't know if he likes you?" Chaeryeong says, "No, I don't know. I'm assuming for the worst and not trying to avoid failure and rejection. My confidence can't handle it..." Ryujin adds, "If I were you, I'd be super confident." Yeji smiles and nods as the succubus says, "You're pretty and for someone who doesn't use their legs half the time, yours are beautiful. You're smart. You're funny. You're hardworking. You're great at helping others emotionally. Did I mention your beauty?"

Chaeryeong blushes as Yeji says, "Just go for it, Chae. That's what I did. You hang out with him enough and if you feel like it's your moment to push to the next step, you take it. If it fails then he misses out. But I'd rather fail trying than live with regret of never acting." Chaeryeong smiles at her and says, "Really?" Ryujin scoffs and moves behind Chaeryeong. She pushes the mermaid off her bed and says, "Really. Now get your pretty butt out of here and talk to Kang Taehyun. You'll regret not doing anything and if you're confident with your feelings then go for it. There's no problem with you at all Chae, if there is I'm willing to look over it because of all your positive attributes. Sure, you're not a royal but in my eyes you're a queen. Now stop sitting here all pretty and go tell that boy you like him!"

Yeji smiles with a thumbs up and says, "Good luck." Chaeryeong smiles at them and quickly walks back to her dorm to find something prettier to wear.

...

Lia quickly ties her head in a messy bun as she puts an oversized hoodie on. She had to pull another all-nighter for her project and she needed some of the materials at the library. She quickly grabs her notebooks and backpack as she hops on her broom and flies to the library.

"Hey, I was wondering if you could help me test out my project..."

Lia's ears perked up as she walked to the library entrance. She slowly turned her head to see Soobin smiling brightly at another student. Lia knew her. Choi Yewon, who also went by the name Arin, was another witch but older than the two. Lia stared at the two as Soobin asked her for help.

Soobin jokes, "You're not competing at the Sorcerer Supreme competition too, are you?" Arin shakes her head as he smiles, "Perfect! I can use your help for something." She smiles back, "Anytime, Soobin. Just let me know when and what and I'll be there." He replies energetically, "You're the best, Arin. I'll talk to you later when everything is ready." Arin nods and walks away which causes Soobin to turn to the library to go and do more research. He briefly makes eye contact with Lia who turned her head as Arin walked away.

Lia huffs, "He's already testing his project huh..." Soobin tries to walk up to her but Lia was already deep in thought trying to make sure she doesn't fall behind him too much.

Soobin sighs and makes an effort to run in front of her. Lia stops walking, seeing him approach her. He smiles, "Hey." Lia looks at him curiously as he rubs his nape nervously, "How are you?" Lia replies, "Fine." Soobin nods, "Good... good... I was wondering if you would want to get lunch with me in your free time. Maybe during your break?"