Chapter 27: Guardian Angel

Ryujin flew as far as she could. She didn't even know where she was but she was happy with the silence. She wipes her tears as her mind immediately replays the faces of all her friends. The faces of disgust, guilt, horror, sadness, betrayal... The tears started to come back again and she was quick to wipe them.

Ryujin stood at a cliff side overseeing the ocean. She slowly sat on it so her legs dangled off the cliff. Ryujin stared down at the spiky rocks with the heavy waves hitting on to them. Her legs playfully kick as her hands grip on the soft dirt beneath her. Ryujin closes her wings along with her eyes.

"I should just..." with no hesitation Ryujin falls forward with her head leading the way to the sharp rocks at the foot of the cliff side. All she could hear were the waves splashing beneath her and the rush of the air as she fell hundreds of feet to her demise. She smiles as the sounds of the waves get louder and closer. But that smile disappears, as they suddenly grow quiet and the wind against her goes the opposite direction.

Ryujin opened her eyes to see Beomgyu slowly flying both of them up the cliff side. He gently places her back on the ground as she stares at him quietly.

Beomgyu stares at her blankly and asks, "Why?" She replies trying to push him away, "You would've all hated me if you knew. I didn't want to be—" The angel raises his voice with irritation, "WHY DID YOU JUMP!?"

Ryujin jumps in shock as she looks at him confused, "What?" Beomgyu rakes his hair back and says, "You lied to them." She replies, "I didn't lie." He rephrases, "You should've told them." Ryujin raises her voice back, "Why would it matter? So you could hate me earlier?" Beomgyu rolls his eyes and says, "I thought you were smarter than this... You saw what we did with Yeonjun's reputation as a gorgon. We could have done the same."

"I've killed people, Beomgyu. I've done it on purpose. I'm a Succubus. Before I met Hyunjin... before I made any friends... I had to keep myself alive by sucking other people dry and leaving them dead. I am evil, unlike Yeonjun. I have no regrets unlike Yeonjun. I did it to survive and I would do it again if I had to. The world didn't put me or my family in an easy spot, Beomgyu. My entire family had to fight and kill just to survive for thousands of years only to be outcasts in a society that will never accept us because of our bloodline. Why did I hide it? Because I thought I could live my life away from my lineage. I'm just a normal demon... I want to be a normal Succubus. But I'm not and I never will be. I thought that accepting that fact and staying confident and true to what I really am will let people relax near me or not see me like I'm a monster."

"You're not a monster."

Ryujin glances at him and scoffs, "Chaeryeong said it herself... Even Hyunjin was scared of me... Soobin and Lia didn't even say anything because they stood frozen with fear. Seyoung looked at me like I was the embodiment of evil. I'm a monster."

Beomgyu whispers, "You're not a monster. Would a monster help Yeonjun get over his discrimination or oppression? Would a monster give Chaeryeong the advice to ask out someone out of her social class? Would a monster befriend and help another vampire? Would a monster work so hard to make sure people around her stay comfortable and welcomed? You're not a monster, Shin Ryujin, and you have to convince yourself that."

Ryujin stared at him with blank eyes, "It doesn't matter, nothing does. I thought I could change the way people see me but my family and my past will always catch up. Only my family will ever take me in and I hate them with a passion." She slowly backed away until her heels were at the edge of the cliff again. Ryujin said with teary eyes, "Don't talk to me like you care."

She slowly fell backwards but Beomgyu was quick to run and hug her tightly, preventing her from falling. He whispers, "Shut up." Ryujin stayed quiet as he whispered, "I do care. We care. So stop being an idiot and come talk to us. Stop running away like you always do and let's fix these misunderstandings. Everyone was just taken aback at the shock of the news. They didn't mean to look at you like that... We love you Ryujin, I need you to see that."

Ryujin's tears started to fall as she cried into his chest as Beomgyu placed a kiss on her forehead whispering, "I'm here for you."

Meanwhile... Seyoung flew above them. She felt betrayed and jealous. Not only did she fight through her fears to chase after Beomgyu because she was worried for him but now the angel she loved so dearly stood on the cliff side with his lips on the forehead of a demon. Seyoung shed a tear realizing that maybe Beomgyu never really loved her or that he unconsciously fell in love with Ryujin during their time together. Beomgyu backed away and continued to pat Ryujin's head, who was crying in his arms. Seyoung just slowly flew away seeing they didn't need her. At the moment she left, Hyunjin appeared.

He flew under the tree as he had to return to his human form and sit on the ground to rest. Hyunjin hisses as he sees his skin burnt to a crisp with his entire body feeling like it was on fire. He slowly walked up seeing Ryujin pull away from the hug. His eyes widened seeing her eyes stare into Beomgyu.

Hyunjin whispers, "S-she never looks at me like that." The vampire tries to step forward but his skin is burning and he grunts as he tries to move anything. He curses out then glances up to see Ryujin cupping Beomgyu's face. Hyunjin sucks it up and starts to walk slowly back into the sunlight.

Ryujin tiptoes lightly as she pulls Beomgyu's face down to give a chaste kiss on his lips. Then, she slowly backs away, still staring at his dreamy eyes. Ryujin suddenly realizes what she's done and blushes, "S-sorry... I-I didn't mean to, it's just the atmosphere and I-I..."

Beomgyu smiles at her trying to stay indifferent after the kiss, "We should get back."

"Ryujin..."

Ryujin and Beomgyu turn their heads to see Hyunjin standing under the sun with his skin sizzling from the rays. Ryujin gasps as Hyunjin says, "Are you okay?" Ryujin extends her wings and quickly flies Hyunjin back under the trees. She whispers, "Why are you here?" Hyunjin smiles, "Because of you dummy, you were crying. I had to go after you." Ryujin moves her hair to the side and shows her bare neck, "Hurry, before something bad happens."

Hyunjin smiles as he caresses her face, "Your tears dried up. Are you not sad anymore?" Ryujin hisses seeing the pain in his eyes, "JUST BITE ME." He scoffs and slowly leans forward to suck her blood.

There was pain in his eyes but it wasn't solely on the burning sun. Hyunjin saw the way she looked at Beomgyu, he saw the way she talked to him, and he saw the way she kissed him. It was completely different from anything she'd done with him. He was jealous.

Hyunjin latched onto Ryujin's neck as he glared at Beomgyu from a distance. The angel stared back at him with fiery eyes as Hyunjin backs up, "Why's the angel here?" Ryujin glances back at Beomgyu with a blush, "He wanted to check up on me. We just talked, nothing else."

Hyunjin stared at her and thought to himself, "She's lying to me." Ryujin stands and helps him up, "Do you not hate me? After everything that was just revealed." Hyunjin stared at her blankly, "I'm not sure... I knew your blood tasted really good for some reason." Hyunjin sighs and as he gently smacks her face, "I was worried though. I never saw you like that before and I felt the need to come here and comfort you. So I guess I do still like you." Ryujin smiles at him softly as Hyunjin scoffs, "But it seems you didn't need me, you had Mr. Angel over there to help you with your needs, huh?" She looks at him confused as Hyunjin turns, "I should head back to Yeji, she must be worried after flying like that. Stay safe and... if you need someone, I'm always open to talking... we don't need to do anything more if you don't want... So stay safe, please."