THIRTEEN

"Not too bad." I smiled while watching Tobias paint away.

It was storming outside and the weather was unsafe for either of us to go out to work. In the meantime, I decided to teach Tobias how to paint. He wasn't doing a terrible job, but I've seen better.

"Are those bees?"

"No, that's a flower." He frowned. "It doesn't look like a flower?"

"It does." I lied.

"I give up." He huffed before placing down the paintbrush.

"No, it's beautiful. I'll just make some adjustments, okay?" I picked up the paintbrush.

"I was never into crafts when I was younger. I spent my time reading marketing books that I didn't understand so I could be like my father."

"All I did was crafts, besides school. I ice skated for a minute, but most of the time, I was painting, making pottery, or creating designs."

"You make pottery and you ice skated? Don't take this the wrong way, but you're like an onion. You have so many layers."

"Thank you, I think. Besides reading marketing books, please tell me you did fun things."

"I played golf and I guess I use to get creative by cooking."

"You're an excellent chef."

"Thank you. You're not so bad yourself."

"Don't lie to me, we both know I'm terrible."

Tobias and I chuckled.

"I feel like I've done so little today." Tobias groaned.

"You've done a lot today."

"Yeah, work-wise. I couldn't go to the gym this morning because of the weather. I hate missing days."

"What time do you go?"

"Five in the morning."

"Five in the morning!" I exclaimed. "No way. How can you manage to go throughout your day? You have to be tired."

"It wakes me up."

"I will have to try working out then. Just not at five in the morning." I mumbled while focusing on the painting.

"I will remind you."

"Thank you."

"Want a glass of wine?" He questioned while standing up.

"Of course."

The room went dark and I let out a scream. I was terrified of the dark. As silly as it sounded, something about it terrified me. I heard Tobias stop in his tracks.

"Are you okay?"

"Tobias? Where are you?"

"I'm by the kitchen entrance."

"Please don't move."

"Why what's wrong? I think the power went out because of the storm. Everything's okay."

"I know but please just stay in this room."

"You're not afraid of the dark, are you?" I could hear him laughing.

"I am and it's not funny." I felt around the easel and placed down my paintbrush. "Please just stay there."

"Athena come on." Tobias chuckled.

"Stop laughing, it's not funny."

The room went quiet. I frantically looked around trying to spot anything, but it was pitch black.