37

Monika

Slade runs me through drills. Keeps my mind off things, he insists. I think it's his fun way of touching my breasts.

We take a break, Po handing me a glass of water. Slade gets a slightly distant look, glancing up at the sky.

"Hm."

I frown. "What does Hm mean?" I put my hands on my knees panting.

"It means I've got to go somewhere for a moment. Into town."

I shift. "What for?"

Slade shrugs. We start migrating away from the courtyard into his room. He opens the case putting his armor on.

"Ah, I just want to check the state of things. Nothing serious," he assured me. I watch him, take off his cape, his bare chest gleaming under the soft lights.

He dons his armor, putting his Cale back on the fur settling nicely against the metal.

"I've never seen you put your armor on. Something is wrong isn't it?"

He shakes his head. "Just a slight disturbance. I'm going to take the kids with me."

I shake my head. "You don't have to. I know they can distract you."

He paused. "Are you sure? They're technically adults but really...I gave them powers at such a young age...you have to keep an eye on them."

Didn't he let them roam the four corners of the earth before this?

I wave my hand. "They may not be all there but I can keep an eye out for them. They're not little kids, after all."

Slade sighs, kissing me gently.

I pull on his cape. "Last time you left me behind you...went away. Promise me you won't go away this time."

He pressed his forehead against mine. "I'm not going anywhere, my little wife."

I nod, as he pulls away to grab his sword.

"Where are you going? We'll go too," Dion stands.

"Yes," Solice chimes in."

Fallon says nothing. "Slade?"

He looks at them with a small smile. "Stay with Monika for now. All three of you."

He turns his back, poofing away.

They look at me. I look away. "Ah...we're all adults here. How about we...play some games?" I offer.

They cock their heads. "Game?"

A few hours passed. We get through every game I know, and now they're entertaining themselves by fighting one another.

"Do you guys feel this disturbance, Slade was talking about?"

They look at one another before shrugging.

Fallon's eyes shift uncomfortably. She's lying. I pull her aside.

"Fallon."
"Mother." She says stoutly.

I sigh. "Tell me what you know?"

She swallows roughly. "It's nothing. Just a little feeling is all."

The door creaks open. We all look up.

I stand. "Slade, thank god it's been hours—"

I'm shoved down onto the floor by Dion who stands in front of me, Fallon taking his side.

A man with long black hair and white eyes stared down at us. Instinctively I know.

I know.

I know who this is.
I know we're in trouble. I start praying. Calling Slade's name in my mind.

"You can't enter a rival god's temple," Fallon instructs, taking her sword up.

But...if this god killed Slade...he can kill them. They're still human. I stand.

"I'm the goddess here," I smile, pushing the behind me.

They're Slade's children. He asked me to keep an eye on them. I know he didn't expect this. I'm sure he'd tell me to let them fight.

But I just...can't. It's not like this will end with this god letting any of us live. I can see it in his eyes.

I can at least try to fulfill my promise.

"Goddess? You're a human."

I swallow. "I'm sure you knew exactly who would be here when you came to this temple."

His lips turn up. He looks heavenly. He's the opposite of Slade, all white, blameless, pure.

But there's a maliciousness in his eyes.

One Slade doesn't have.

"You're intriguing, for a human. Bow to me."

I step forward. Slade's words echo in my mind. If you hear his name, if you see his name, run.

But he's here. And I'm not foolish enough to think I can run from him. I can't poof either. Not at Will.

"I only honor one god: Slade. This is his house. I will not bow to another."

He smiles. It's genuine. I can tell. He's pleased.

"You know...I won't be letting any of you leave here." He whispered.

I swallow. Slade has to come back. He'll be devastated if anything happens to them. All of them. He says he's not a father but I know it's not true.

His heart will break.

"Since I'm the goddess and Slade's wife—"

"This isn't a bargain, human. He's upset the balance. Or rather, you have. This filthy house needs to be eradicated. It almost was. He was lumbering about in obscurity too depressed to cause nary war," he scoffed. "And then you came along."

Yes...I made him happy I think.

That's good. I'm glad. I take out my blade. Will it do anything? No.

But I am a goddess of war.