lxxv. annabeth insults all of our iqs, not that its hard

chapter seventy-five

─── annabeth insults all of our iqs, not that its hard

          𝕴t was my idea to have it after dark, because I thought, if we're summoning a ghost, let's make it the most horror movie esque thing I could. It would add to the experience for the little kids, though I'm not sure Luke would appreciate my thoughts.

"Minos should be here by now," Nico said, frowning. "It's full dark."

"Maybe he took a wrong turn." I shrugged.

Nico poured root beer and tossed barbecue into the pit, then began chanting in Ancient Greek. Immediately the bugs in the woods stopped chirping. 

"Make him stop," Tyson whispered to me. I wanted to turn and comfort him but before I could say anything, the first spirits appeared. Sulphurous mist seeped out of the ground. Shadows thickened into human forms. One blue shade drifted to the edge of the pit and knelt to drink. 

"Stop him!" Nico said, momentarily breaking his chant. "Only Bianca may drink!"

I drew Riptide. The ghosts retreated with a collective hiss at the sight of the blade. But it was too late to stop the first spirit. He had already solidified into the shape of a bearded man in white robes. A circlet of gold wreathed his head, and even in death his eyes were alive with malice. 

"Minos!" Nico said. "What are you doing?" 

"My apologies, master," the ghost said, though he didn't sound very sorry. "The sacrifice smelled so good, I couldn't resist." He examined his own hands and smiled. "It is good to see myself again. Almost in solid form—"

"You are disrupting the ritual!" Nico protested. "Get—"

The spirits of the dead began shimmering dangerously bright, and Nico had to take up the chant again to keep them at bay. 

"Yes, quite right, master," Minos said with amusement. "You keep chanting. I've only come to protect you from these liars who would deceive you." He turned to me as if I were some kind of cockroach. "Andromeda Jackson...my, my. The daughter of Poseidon. They haven't improved over the centuries, have they?" 

I wanted to punch him, but I figured my fist would go right through his face. "We're looking for Bianca di Angelo," I said. "Get lost." 

The ghost chuckled. "I understand you once killed my Minotaur with your bare hands. But worse things await you in the maze. Do you really believe Daedalus will help you?"