PART TWO: CHAPTER ONE

"Aunty TenTen mori Uncle Niyi pelu girl pupa kan," Amaka, my tailor's assistant said. "He was too far away for me to greet him. Please tell him I said hi, ma'am."

She was cheerful when she gave me my silky, custom made dinner gown. I ran my hand over the soft, sky blue material and
cast my cool gaze upon her. Amaka had no idea that Niyi and I were scheduled to meet an hour ago. The last straw was his phone which went from unavailable to switched off.

I remained silent but my body flamed with indignation.

Amaka was like a little sister to Niyi and I. For over a year she had been making traditional attire for both of us. We even featured in the official fashion catalogue of her boss in Lagos. The publicity elevated us in social circles, and Niyi fought off several suitors who assumed I was a model-sometimes with false threats of legal action. His jealousy was amusing. A sad smile tugged my lips at the memory.

Who on Earth was the light skinned lady Amaka saw Niyi with? I wondered.

Niyi told me that he forgot an important file at the office. He promised to be there and back in a jiffy. As far as I knew, his law office was just twenty minutes away by car. The only fair complexioned among his staff were both middle aged. Amaka would not refer to either of them as 'girls'.

I knew I should trust him, but he was giving me a million reasons not to. Of all days Niyi would choose to be shady, why the one year anniversary of my triumph over Jagunlabi?

Everything was going well for us in our relationship and our careers. Niyi was a partner at a law firm, and I was a political advisor to Governor Orisajana. I thought we had overcome the storm and could now enjoy the sunshine. Apparently, I was mistaken.

"Aunty TenTen. Are you alright?" Amaka asked. She frowned with a pinched expression of genuine concern on her cute face.

Her enquiry interrupted my internal conflict, and I smiled with as much warmth as possible. "Sorry my dear. Niyi and I have an appointment. Perhaps he forgot," I replied. A diplomatic approach was the best way of handling the issue. Especially after all the lessons life had taught me. I gave Amaka a generous tip, and sent her on her way. Allowing her to reach the gate before I called out to her in a cool, calm and collected voice.

"Oh, Amaka."

"Yes ma'am?"

I held my gown under my chin and posed. "Maybe I should try it on again."

"Aunty," Amaka groaned with a playful pout. "You want to oppress me with your lovely hourglass figure right? You tried it on yesterday and you looked beautiful as usual. The light blue on your dark skin was muah."

The kiss sound earned her a chuckle from me and I put my hands on my hips. "You're not serious."

"Uncle Niyi is so lucky," she gushed.

I arched an eyebrow. "Because I'm beautiful?"

"Oginni? What? There's a lot. You're calm and keri-" she snapped her fingers as she tried to remember the word. "Biko, please what's that fancy word for someone who attracts and influences people?"

"Charismatic?" I laughed and shook my head. "You're talented, lively and very focused for a nineteen year old. Someday you'll be a great fashion designer."

She looked up to the sky and clasped her hands. "Amen."

"Just don't get distracted," I added. "By the way, where did you see Niyi? I have something I need to give him."

Amaka tilted her head in thought. "He was at the main gate, about to enter the town hall with that aunty."

The freaking town hall? It was on the other side of town and nowhere near his office. Something was going on and I vowed to find out. Being one groomed to keep up appearances, I reaffirmed my decision not to let Amaka suspect my fury.

"Really? That's nice. Let me give you a lift to your shop, Amaka. I'm on my way out."

Her eyes lit up. "Thank you, ma'am. It's so hot and I lost my hat."

I walked towards my Jeep whistling the tune to 'God Be With You Till We Meet Again'. Twirling my key on my index finger, I signalled for her to enter as I slid into the driver's seat. With my hands on the steering, I reminded Amaka to use her seatbelt.

The air conditioning was borderline cold, but perfect for me as I drove out of my parking space. With deep breaths in and out, I turned in the direction of the Town Hall. Tapping my fingers on the wheel, I continued whistling-to keep my mind off Niyi and on road safety. Putting our lives at risk was not worth it for any man.

Amaka shivered and rubbed her arms. "Eyin olowo sha. You rich people."

I reduced the coldness of the air conditioner and scoffed. "By God's grace I'll be one of them." People might think I was wealthy, but I knew how many bills and responsibilities I had. That being said, my daily bread was received with thanksgiving.

We were silent for the rest of the journey, and I dropped Amaka at the junction of her shop shortly afterwards. My eyes narrowed as I passed Niyi's office and increased my speed a notch on the way to the Town Hall. My inner vision could not see what was happening, even though my revelations had gotten clearer and more frequent. It made the situation even more frustrating.

After passing through many busy streets lined with lush palm trees, I parked in front of the Town Hall. Bracing my heart for what lay ahead, I walked towards the marble stairs at the entrance. The smell of flowers and freshly cut grass filled the air around building which appeared to be vacant.

Reconsidering my Cheaters style idea to catch Niyi red handed, I mounted the steps and halted in front of the main door. Was I ready for any shocking or disappointing experience? Should I hold my head high and move on? My heart and mind tensed at the thought of losing Niyi. I loved him beyond words and preferred not to look at what would leave me traumatised.

A gust of wind blew my pleated, pink dress and I held it down with a sigh. Niyi insisted that I wear the outfit on that day, claiming it was one of his favourites on me. After much contemplation, I decided to have a seat and clear my head before entering. My stomach twisted in nervous knots and threatened to empty itself.

"E dake! Won ti de. Keep quiet, she has arrived," a muffled feminine voice whisper giggled from inside. The sound of feet pattering on the internal wooden floors echoed.

My mind went blank for a moment, and I could almost feel my teeth and nails elongating. "L to the No," I growled, storming to the door. If Sango struck them dead they would burn in this world, the hereafter and deserve every second of it.

After my hands pushed the through the glass doors, I traced the wall for a light switch. Before my eyes adjusted to the indoor darkness, I heard the sound of a saxophonist playing my favourite tune, Sweet Love by Anita Baker. The erratic beating of my heart drowned the melody and my eyes flared. With a flick of my finger, the lights came on and flooded the open floor with fluorescent brightness.

I sensed the presence of a multitude of people but they were hidden behind a curtain on the stage. A intense wave of happiness swept over me and left me breathless. My mind was on high alert ready for an attack. Joy at a time of anxiety did not make sense. Perhaps a spirit was attempting to distract me. It would not be the first time such would happen.

The curtains parted and I gasped. My hand flew to my mouth at the sight before me, and tears flowed freely from my eyes.

 My hand flew to my mouth at the sight before me, and tears flowed freely from my eyes