Chapter 73: Peace (1)

Neji was back in the car after Gara pulled him out.

Gara had come to the school directly from work, he could tell from her car. Her assistant, Kujou Sara, had brought her here with her car after Nejire had notified her.

Kimi had come with another car to pick the siblings up, and currently, they were inside that car with Gara sending Sara away. Neji sat on the back seat with Nejire on his right and Gara on his left, who had her arms around his head as she talked to her phone about an emergency.

Staring at her with a curious gaze, Neji waited for her to finish talking. Nejire stayed silent too after Neji told her to, and Kimi simply peeked at him every now and then from the rearview mirror. She was worried, but she couldn't express it outright in front of Gara. It was... hard for her sometimes.

Gara cut the call and immediately, Neji asked, "Mom, what's your relationship with the Principal?"

"Hm?" She turned to him, her hand on his head as she patted his hair. The hair made of actual silver felt weird in her touch, it was very light silver, each strand barely weighing more than actual hair strands, but if she isn't careful her palm might start bleeding, though that won't stop her from patting her son.

Neji continued. "I know you are influential and all, but I don't think it's enough to shut the Principal of UA's mouth like that."

She smiled and giggled. "Oh my, you underestimate me, son. I do have enough influence of my own to do that, kind of. But you're right, my influence isn't the reason behind it."

"Then?"

"You want to know?"

"Yes."

At Neji's nod, she stuck her tongue out playfully, something she won't do outside her family. "It's a secret."

"..."

Neji asked her again, but she just laughed it off. Though he had some ideas, he wasn't sure about any of them. It's kind of an open secret that Nezu was experimented on by humans once. Maybe his mother was involved in that? As in, maybe she saved him. Though it was most likely just one of his drifting thoughts... but eh, he would figure it out someday.

"So, Neji!" Then Nejire called, her hands sliding into his right arm, acting as if Gara wasn't even there. "What did they do to you?"

"Just some question, it's nothing bad." Neji shook his head. "Instead, I got information that will help me tremendously."

"Oh?" Her eyes sparkled up, this caught her curiosity. "And that is?"

Neji curled his lips up. "It's a secret."

Behind him, Gara gave a hearty laugh. It was delighting seeing him copy her, but that didn't mean she wouldn't make him spill the beans.

While Nejire pouted and glared, Gara tried to ask herself, but he didn't bend and instead gave a half-hearted answer. She knew he was lying, but she couldn't make him tell the truth without him forcing her secrets out. Maybe she should force the mouse to spill the beans, instead?... But then again, she didn't like to push the mouse without any actual reason behind it. Her son was that reason today.

Finally, the car reached the mansion's large gate as they waited for the gate to open by the security guard. Then Kimi drove to the parking lot and Gara and Nejire walked out.

"Huh, aren't you coming?"

Neji smiled at his mother's question. "I have something in the car, I will go with Kimi."