4 - In The Field

After Steve had chased down the culprit for the explosion, the S.S.R. take custody of the submarine. Stark and I have suspended it in the air with supports so we could try and figure out what it was exactly. Stark has rolled underneath to find the framework, while I've climbed on top to find a way to open to cockpit.

"What have got here?" Colonel Phillips asks as he walks into the S.S.R. tech lab, followed by Senator Brandt, Peggy and Steve.

"Speaking modestly," Stark begins, "I'm the best mechanical engineer in this country-"

"What he means," I interrupt, sliding off the top of the submarine, "we don't know what this thing is, how it works, or what's inside of it."

"Yeah, we're not even close to this technology." Stark finishes.

"Then who is?" The Senator asks.

"Hydra." Phillips answers.

"Hydra?" I question.

"The Nazi deep science division," Peggy says, "it's led by Johann Schmidt, but he has much bigger ideas."

"They're practically a cult, they worship Schmidt, think he's immortal." Phillips says.

The Colonel, Senator, Carter and Steve continue walking through the tech lab, leaving Stark and I to carry on inspecting the vehicle.

"The hell even is this thing" I question.

"Honestly, no clue." He laughs.

"It's some kind of high-tech submarine."

"Yeah, no shit." Stark jokes.

~~~~~~

A few months later, Peggy, Steve and I are in Italy with the tour that Steve is doing. Peggy and I are standing backstage as Steve is getting heckled by his audience- which consists of some of the U.S. Army.

"It's getting pretty real." I sigh, leaning against one of the support beams and putting my hands in my pockets. I'm wearing black trousers with a white tucked in shirt, matched with a black tie and suit braces, topped with a black fedora (finally)- I left my jacket in the Colonel's tent.

"What do you mean?" Peggy asks.

"Well," I begin, "we're five miles from the front, with a Super Soldier who is only allowed to be a performing monkey in tights."

"Is someone you know in the war?"

"Mine and Steve's friend Ja-," I pause, "Bucky."

"Were the three of you close?"

"His parents raised me; I never knew mine. The three of us grew up together, and Bucky's like a brother."

"I'm sorry that happened."

"No, it's fine," I say, "do you know anyone in the war?"

"My brother is fighting with the British forces, but other than that, just S.S.R. co-workers."

"Your brother?"

"Captain Michael Carter. He's not on this part of the front though."

"Oh, I'm sorry. It must be hard, knowing that he's in the war but you can't be in the same place."

"I'm used to it." Peggy laughs.

"When you said about the S.S.R. Agents," I continue, "is that why there's pictures of some of them in military uniform at HQ?"

"Yeah. Agent Daniel Sousa was one of them," she sighs, "but he's currently in that medical tent." She points over to the medic tent on the West side of the camp as we both chuckle.