Chapter 8

Topaz gazed at him solemnly. "I will because I believe I'm falling in love with you, Raul."

"I've already fallen, baby," he replied, "and if I weren't so weak right now, I'd show you just how much, but there will be time for that later."

Raul slowly turned and started to get up out of the bed.

Topaz, gripping his arm, stopped him, causing him to turn. In a whisper, she asked, "Could I have a kiss, please?"

Raul lay back and, pulling her to him once more, placed a gentle kiss on her lips.

Topaz whimpered as she reached up and grabbed his head in her hands.

Knowing she wished for more, Raul nipped her lips lightly before kissing her once more. When he managed to pull completely away, he said, "I'd love to do more, baby, but I literally have no strength and I desperately need to brush my teeth."

Topaz giggled lightly, giving him another peck on his lips before moving back.

Raul sat up, but by the time he made it to his feet, he was breathing hard.

"Are you going to be all right?" Topaz asked as she came around to stand next to him, taking his arm.

"I will be," he said as he pulled in a deep breath. "I just need to eat right and get more sleep. Now that my wolf no longer feels rejected, he'll begin to revive and so will I."

"Is that why you asked me to accept you? So, your wolf would no longer believe I'd rejected him?" Topaz inquired.

"It is. He needed to hear the words that he was accepted," Raul agreed.

Stepping even closer to him, she wrapped her arms around his waist. Placing her head on his chest, she rubbed her cheek against him as she whispered, "I accept you too, wolfie. I know we haven't formally met, but if you are as sweet as Raul, I know we're going to get along wonderfully."

Raul chuckled.

"I believe we're going to get along wonderfully too," his wolf said weakly. "I will be fine soon, just the scent of her helps. Soon we can show ourselves to her. Now feed me, steak, lots of steaks," he demanded.

"Let me brush my teeth and use the bathroom. Then we'll go feed me and my wolf," Raul murmured, kissing the top of her head. "Apparently, he wants steak, lots and lots of steak."

Topaz laughed as she let him go and he headed into his bathroom. Once he was out, they headed for the kitchen together.

#

Raul and Topaz walked into the kitchen hand in hand and were greeted by the sight of Carlito and Dianne kissing.

"Ahem," Raul said as he cleared his throat.

The two jumped apart and stared at Raul wide-eyed.

"Dad, you're up!" Carlito exclaimed as he hugged his dad.

"Ah, not too tight, pup, still weak here," Raul murmured even as he hugged Carlito back just as tightly.

"It's good to see you up, Mr. Desoto," Dianne said.

Raul smiled at the girl. "Please, no more mister, I'm just Raul."

Dianne gave him a nod. "Are you hungry?"

"I am, and my wolf demands steak," Raul agreed with a laugh. He then slowly made his way to a chair, sighing relief once he was seated. "No more lying-in bed for me. I think it made me more tired than if I'd worked a twelve-hour day."