𝟏𝟏. dead highway

WHITE FLAG

chapter eleven : dead highway
{ season two - episode one }

chapter eleven : dead highway{ season two - episode one }

TWO WHOLE DAYS had passed since the group all left the CDC. Nothing much had happened; just stopping by places scavenging for food and, well... driving. Ever since the morning at the CDC, the younger Schmidt hadn't been able to sleep, not even shut her eyes.

Her eyes continued to stare into the beige, matte dining table in the RV. She wasn't even lost in her thoughts; she was still in shock. While everybody else slept at night, she stayed awake and gazed up into the beautiful night sky.

Kloe lifted her chin slightly, noticing Shane rubbing his clenched hands across a metal piece to a gun. There was a baby blue cloth on the table, with his pulled-apart-gun lying across it perfectly.

She silently rested her head on the palm of her hand as she carefully watched the man. In the corner of her eye, she spotted Andrea also admiring the man with his ways with handling guns. "Looks complicated," Andrea commented, resting her back against the window.

"The trick is getting all these pieces back together the same way," Shane told in a peaceful, quiet tone. "I could clean yours, show you how." Kloe watched as he knelt down to the side and pulled out Andrea's gun. He, without hesitation, lifted the gun and aimed it into the air. "Oh yeah. It's a sweet piece."

Andrea sent a small, sympathetic smile. "It was a gift," she stated, "from my father." Kloe felt her teeth dig into her bottom lip, ignoring the blaring pain that was coming from it. "He gave it to me just before Amy and I took off on our road trip. He said 'two girls on their own should be able to defend themselves.'"

"Smart man, your father," Shane stated. Kloe forced her eyelids open before it looked like she had fallen asleep. "Look, it's a-" he hesitated for a moment, unsure on what to show, "it's a limited capacity. See? It only holds seven rounds." He lifted the gun and opened the magazine, revealing all the ammo stuffed inside.

"Oh, jeez," Dale muttered, causing Kloe's attention to fall onto Dale and Glenn, who were both sitting at the front of the RV. Dale was driving and Glenn was instructing him on where to go.

"Aw no," Glenn added barely above a whisper, his eyes slightly disappointed. Kloe instantly felt her eyebrows glue together with confusion as the RV came to a slow stop.

"What's happened?" she asked, shooting up from the small seat as did Shane. She darted her dark brown eyes all around the place, there were cars blocking the entire road. There were a few knocked over abandoned trucks, along with a few cars, "Oh, Christ."

Glenn released a panicked breath, holding up the map closer to his face and scanned over it. Kloe felt a familiar presence beside her as she slowly turned her head, noticing Zayn had finally made his way over to them. He had spent the last two days sitting away from everybody, as if something had gone wrong.