Lost Enough

~~Evelyn Dayne~~

The crows and vultures already sweep over the battlefield, already feasting on the flesh of the fallen. I stare blankly ahead as there is a slight shake in my hands.

Soldiers kill off the enemy combatants that are too wounded too help. Some of the Dornishmen collect swords and other prizes off the ground and out of the hands of the dead Lannister soldiers. The spoils of this war are great. The Tyrell supplies never managed never get into King's Landing. And with the Kingslayer captured, the Lannisters won't be able to pay back their debts.

The war is as good as won.

But I feel like I am broken. I came into this battle with two Daynes at my side and I end it without either of them.

I look down at the ground, seeing it stained with the blood and the bodies of the fallen. Rickard lies on the ground, eyes closed and his neck cut open. But he died by the sword. He still holds it in his hand.

A few Dornishmen are collecting our dead to bury them. A few come to collect Rickard but I stop them.

"His grave is to be marked like that of a lord. Do you understand?"

I half whisper as my throat is raspy and dry. They nod solemnly and they take Rickard's body away along with his sword to bury.

I fall to my knees, shoulders shaking as I feel tears brim in my eyes.

"Evelyn.."

A smooth pale hand rests on my shoulder and I look up, seeing Daenerys with the most sorrowful and regretful look I have seen on her yet.

"Edric is whole... He has been wrapped and made ready to bury."

I stand, releasing a shaky breath, shaking my head.

"I want him to have a pyre."

"Then it will be done."

The sun is slowly beginning to sink as the crows continue picking away at the flesh of the dead.

"Evelyn, I... I'm so sorry. I should've gotten here sooner. Maybe if..if I tried harder, maybe I-"

"No... Daenerys, you came here to save us. You came when I needed you most."

I whisper, a few tears beginning to fall. I release another shaky breath and I clutch her hands tightly in mine.

"I lost myself... I snapped when I saw his head..."

I begin to cry and Daenerys quickly moves and wraps her arms around my shoulders, bringing my face down to hers.

"Shhh... We'll be okay, Evelyn... You're  going to be okay."

"Dany... I'm scared. Please..save me..."

I whimper as I cry even harder.

"You just saw the darkest part of me that I've tried so hard to hide away... I-I let it out a-and I'm afraid I can't put it back in it's cage.... Please, help me!"

I practically beg her as I collapse to my knees, taking her with me as I cry harder into her shoulder.

"Evelyn, my love... that wasn't you. The real you, the you I fell in love with so long ago is still there. This monster hiding in your heart will be extinguished. I won't let it take you again."