▪ Chapter 28 (All the Things He Couldn't Have) ▪

Izuku tripped as he nearly sprinted for the water. He landed face first in the water. 

     "Oh my goodness! Izuku, are you alright?" Mina asked, helping the giggling boy back up. 

     Izuku laughed, loving the beach with his heart's content. The beach water was cold, and though the weather had gotten less cold during the month, it was still breezy in the shade. It was a ways away from their school too.

     That didn't stop the class from getting neck deep into beach water. However, Denki wasn't allowed in for precautions. It didn't matter much to him though, he liked playing in the sand much better. 

     Izuku smiled happily when he successfully was able to shape Denki into a sand mermaid. He even had a seaweed tail and seashell bra. 

     Katsuki watched with a small smile he had tried to cover. 

     Mina sat down next to him with a small huff. She followed Katsuki's lingering gaze and smiled as well at the laughing boy. 

     She handed him a popsicle, "My baby boys are all grown up." She said while wiping away invisible tears. 

     Katsuki bit into the popsicle, but he stayed quiet at Mina's words. 

     Izuku looked back at them, and he stumbled trying to get up. He quickly made his way to Katsuki with a great fall once again. This time right into Katsuki's lap.

     "Ah, Kacchan," Izuku said when he sat up, yet he didn't stray from Katsuki's lap. Katsuki, too, made no effort to move him. 

     Katsuki hummed in question. 

     "Let's go swim!" he proposed, cheeks a slight red. 

     Katsuki smiled, "Alright." He said, getting up with Izuku in his arms. 

     When they were almost there, Katsuki suddenly remembered when Izuku was first back able to walk. 

     "I'm...." Izuku started, but he quickly fell again next to his white cot. It didn't stop the stream of tears that fell from his cheeks. "Kacchan, I was walking."

     Katsuki nodded, hiding his tears. Mitsuki made no such effort. She sobbed, jumping onto the little boy with so much emotion, you could feel it. 

     Masaru smiled next to his wife on the ground.

     Izuku made yet another attempt to haul himself upwards. He managed to take a few steps this time, falling once again. 

     Sobs broke out, and he suddenly stated, "I can walk. I can move- Kacchan, I can go biking, and I can go swimming, and I can go hiking, and I can go to dances and actually dance. I can jump in the air- or I could run around the park. I can do sports- or I can-" 

     Katsuki hugged him close, tears falling from both of their eyes. The worst part? He had never thought that Izuku would ever want to do those things. Katsuki had a choice, and everything he had thought to be regular- call it normal even- Izuku was never able to do. 

     And that thought alone killed him. 

     "Listen, Deku," his voice broke, but he didn't care anymore. "You- You make a list, yeah? We- We can do everything you wanted to do, okay? Every single one."

     It appeared that he was keeping that promise. Izuku freaked out, no doubt on going deeper into the cold water, but he enjoyed learning to doggy-paddle. 

544 Words