Ushijima Wakatoshi's Birthday (August 13)

I refrained from using Shiratorizawa characters' names in this chapter, so sorry if it's confusing. Please use the team info reference at the end for clarity! 💜

(August 13th is also the same day as Aone's birthday.)

(The song is Ushijima's voice actor, Takeuchi Ryota, singing a cover of the song "Poker Face".)

***

The only person Ai knew personally from Shiratorizawa Academy was Ushijima. Sure, she had the names and positions of the other players written in her notebook, but it would be strange and one-sided for her to reach out to the people she'd only seen in official tournaments.

Not that she knew the ace very well, either. She'd only spoken to him the one time — when she, Hinata, and Kageyama went to watch Shiratorizawa's practice from outside the gymnasium.

Ushijima's talent in volleyball was similar to that of the Generation of Miracles in basketball. Ai couldn't deny the feeling of being drawn to that overpowering strength; the head coach had hand-picked each player by their individual skills.
They were called the prefecture's strongest team for a reason. After all, Shiratorizawa had gone to nationals as Miyagi's high school volleyball team representatives multiple times.

———

Monday, August 13
At Shiratorizawa Academy

At practice, the second-year setter was the first to wish the ace a good day.
"Ushijima-san! Happy birthday!!!" he exclaimed with respect.

"Happy day-of-your-birth, Wakatoshi-kun!" the third-year middle blocker bounded over singing.

The third-year setter, libero, and other wing spiker also gave celebratory comments to the captain. "Happy birthday, Wakatoshi," they smiled.

"Ushijima-san! Happy birthday! I will become an ace to surpass you one day!" the only first-year of the starting lineup promised.

"Happy birthday," the second-year middle blocker said as well.

"Thanks, all," Ushijima replied stoically.

"Let's celebrate at the dorm tonight!" the ace's eccentric friend propounded.

"Won't we be tired from practice?" the No. 3 inquired.

"Maybe the Demon Coach will go easy on us for his precious ace's birthday," he mused. "Let's party! Have some summer fun! Right, Wakatoshi-kun?" The guess blocker clapped a hand on the ace's shoulder.

"Wakatoshi," the elder coach shouted as soon as he stepped foot into the gymnasium. "You have a letter from the faculty office."

Ushijima went to retrieve the letter from the coach, who handed it over to him with a hunched back. The captain nodded in thanks and walked to place it on the floor somewhere during practice.

"That's rare, to get mail during summer break," the third-year libero remarked.

"Aren't you going to open it, Wakatoshi-kun?" the red-haired third-year asked.

"We're starting practice," Ushijima replied a matter-of-factly.

"We still have a minute or two," the No. 4 vice-captain said kindly.

The captain debated with himself for a moment, and then nodded stiffly. He proceeded to open the handmade lavender-colored envelope.

Dear Ushijima-san,

I hope you have a happy birthday.
My team and I look forward to playing against you at the Spring High tournament.

—Akatsuki Ai

"What's it say, Wakatoshi-kun? A birthday card from someone?" the middle blocker asked.

"Hey, quit poking around. Wakatoshi needs privacy, too," the third-year setter scolded.

"Fine, fine," he sang.

Ushijima took another second to look at the card, and then closed it. He would have more time later back in his room to inspect it closer. Sliding the decorated cardstock back inside the envelope, he propped the paper up against the wall.
Although the ace didn't need more motivation than he already did for practicing his favorite sport, he subconsciously felt a little more excited for training. Strong challengers were always welcome in his books.

"Well, let's start stretching before the coach starts yelling at us," the other third-year wing spiker suggested, but the head coach started screaming at the players anyway.

"Ya slowpokes! Quit ya lollygagging and run laps!!!"

"Yessir!" they all answered.

***

Reference:

Shiratorizawa Academy:
Head Coach - Washijō Tanji
Coach - Saitō Akira
#1 Ushijima Wakatoshi (Captain & Ace) - 3 - WS / Opposite Hitter
#2 Soekawa Jin (Vice Captain) - 3
#3 Semi Eita - 3 - S / Pinch Server
#4 Ōhira Reon (Vice Captain) - 3 - WS / Outside Hitter
#5 Tendō Satori - 3 - MB
#6 Sagae Yūshō - 1 - WS
#7 Yunohama - 2 - Pinch Server
#8 Goshiki Tsutomu - 1 - WS / Outside Hitter
#9 Shibata Yū - 1 - WS
#10 Shirabu Kenjirō - 2 - S
#12 Kawanishi Taichi - 2 - MB
#13 Akakura Kai - 1 - Li
#14 Yamagata Hayato - 3 - Li

***

Sometimes, I don't feel like I'm doing these amazing, thought-out characters justice...

***

I went to the real Sendai City Gymnasium in Miyagi yesterday and it was... amazing. I felt so moved by being in the place where this incredible story is set...

They were busy getting ready for the coming-of-age ceremony for the local people turning 20 this year, so it was technically closed to the public. I didn't get to look and tour around the gymnasium as much as I wanted, but I did also go to the Aoba Castle site. (Also known as Sendai Castle. There're a few things there for sightseeing, but this castle itself is gone now.)

Here's a link I found with pictures if you haven't already seen the places that Haikyuu uses!
http://tianlang.s601.xrea.com/hq_anime.htm

***

What kind of manga would Ushijima read when he borrows the comics from Tendō?

Total Word Count: 884