Chapter 99 - Profits!

Cell phones had an app that could check a stock's fluctuations, and it showed clearly that the stock Nora mentioned had risen by 2% the day before!

In other words, the $300,000 they invested had seen a return of $6,000 in just a day!

Given how it had risen despite the plummeting stock market, this was undoubtedly very impressive.

Farrell was a mature and steady middle-aged man who bore a 50% resemblance to Melissa. Unlike Miranda's mean and acrimonious appearance, he had an air unique to scholarly merchants around him.

His brows were tightly drawn together, but he nevertheless looked up and said, "Your profit yesterday can only be attributed to luck. The stock market is very unstable now, so it's not surprising that the stock rose for a day. This particular stock has been falling lately. You'd best still take the opportunity to sell it today!"

Then, he looked at Melissa sternly and lectured, "The Woods' family teachings forbid us from gambling and taking drugs. Melissa, I know you're short of money. That's why I told Miranda to look for you and let you make some money with us. Why must you let things come to this point?"

Melissa looked at him, her expression somewhat dazed.

It seemed like she hadn't seen her elder brother for a very long time.

The siblings had been on very good terms in the past. She could still remember how her elder brother had specially screened Simon's character for her when she fell in love with him back then.

When did they become this distant from each other?

It seemed like it was ever since he married Miranda?

Farrell and Miranda's marriage could be considered a political marriage between the Woods and the Sonnets. Farrell had a literati's pride, and he trusted Miranda enough to leave her in charge of all the family affairs after they were married.

Miranda was a petty woman. She would get jealous and say a lot of mean things whenever Farrell was even a little nice to Melissa. She didn't want to cause disharmony in her brother's family, so she rarely returned to the Woods' residence in recent years after their parents passed away.

At the sight of Melissa keeping quiet, Farrell sighed, took out a bank card, and handed it to her. He said, "I know Miranda has a foul mouth, but do you really think I'll leave you to your own devices when you're broke, Melissa? There's $800,000 in here. Use it to tide over for now… Don't worry, this is my own money. Your sister-in-law doesn't know about it."

His heartwarming words made Melissa tear up a little.

She was still wearing a well-tailored dress that outlined her slender figure and slim waist today, making her look elegant and classy.

Apart from Simon's lack of drive to do better, the other reason why the Andersons were in such a predicament today was that she was content to keep the status quo.

Melissa knew that there was a bit of a literati's loftiness in her all these years. She didn't like socializing and didn't take money and things like that too seriously.

Thus, when Farrell called her yesterday, she had immediately agreed.

The real estate industry was in full swing.

Moreover, the Lowes were also a reliable wealthy family in New York. Everyone knew them and their background well, so nothing would go wrong in investing in them. That was why she had agreed to it.

But now…

Melissa pushed the bank card back to Farrell. She said, "Farrell, I made a wrong judgment. We actually have enough to spend. Besides, once we tide over this month, the Andersons will have money when we recoup the Carefree Pills' production costs. It's really okay."