Chapter 76

**this is technically a double update (just spaced a few hours apart haha) so read chapter 75 first if you haven't already! xo**

Chapter 76

The rest of the lunch went well, surprisingly so, even despite how on edge I was. By the time we'd all finished eating and were making our way back towards our respective cars, my old friends, along with my new friends, everyone was already planning the next time we'd all meet up together.

"River's gallery has a showing this weekend," Angel said excitedly. She shook her head almost immediately afterward, a little perplexed. "Wow. I can't believe that's already in a few days. It's hard to believe the last one was a year ago."

"I know..." I said softly, glancing over at Harry with a small smile when he slid his hand in mine. "Time flies."

"Will you guys be there?" Raven asked, attention on Morgan and Zayn.

The two of them looked between each other, mouths silently parted. Morgan caught my eye. "Um, I don't know if we're invited–"

"Of course, you're invited," I cut in, appalled that they'd think otherwise when the two of them had been helping me more than anyone else to organize given everything that had gone on recently. "I just haven't had the chance to give you your formal invitations yet."

"Then, yes, obviously we'll be there," Morgan beamed.

"It's black tie," I said, giving Harry's hand a squeeze. "So, you get to dress all fancy."

"My favourite," Morgan gushed, immediately turning to Zayn with points about how they were going to coordinate.

By the time the seven of us had all parted ways, it was harder to maintain a steady conversation. Harry seemed to notice this because once the both of us were settled in the car beside one another, he quietly asked again, "Are you sure you're okay, Riv baby?"

"Yeah, just a little tired from lunch, I think," I tilted my head to rest on the seat, reaching over to toy with the hair at the bottom of his neck. "Talking for two hours straight takes a lot out of me." I forced a laugh. "My friends really like you though... but of course they do, who wouldn't?" A slight flush grew on Harry's neck when I leaned over to kiss his cheekbone, murmuring, "Made me so proud, pretty boy. You did so well."

"Riv..." Harry's voice was slightly strained. He placed a hand on my knee, giving it a gentle squeeze when I started to kiss a path down his neck. "Devil woman," he teased thickly, his other hand tightening on the steering wheel. "Trying to make me crash?"

"Just wanna show you how much I appreciate you," I shrugged with a smile, feeling myself beginning to loosen up as I fell back against my seat, grateful he had that effect on me.

"Are you really tired?" he asked softly a few seconds later. Before I had the chance to respond, he went on, "I mean like, on a scale of one to ten, how exhausted are you?"

I narrowed my eyes at him, grinning slightly. "Why?"

"Just tell me," Harry shrugged, a smile on his own face.

"Okay, I'm not really that tired," I admitted, shifting in my seat to face him fully.

Harry quirked a brow as we pulled up to a light. "Are you lying?"

My mouth parted, a mock huff of indignation leaving my lips. "How dare you accuse me of that," Leaning forward, I whispered, "Now why'd you wanna know? C'mon, spill–"

"I had a surprise planned," he said quickly, running his hands the length of the steering wheel. A nervous tic, I'd noticed. He threw a sheepish glance in my direction. "But you're gonna hate me for it, anyway, so I figured I'd just push it to another day if you were too tired to yell at me–"