Chapter 1 - The Family Now 2/2

Everything was blurry. "So do you guys want to tell me why my Eva is invisible and why you were planning to hide it from me?" Isabella said with a threat in her voice but flawless smile on her face .

Camilo and Mirabel were hanging upside down by vines. The kids stood behind their Tía Isa in awe of what's happening except for little Manny who was quietly panicking to Juileta about the situation behind her. She turned. "Isa mija, let them down it's not their fault. They just didnt want to anger you." Julieta said in her calming voice as she wiped her hands on her apron. "Fine."

Back on the ground, the two pleaded their case and were off the hook. Emmy stood infront of Isa as she sat at the table and placed both little hands on her lap. "Tía Isa, are you mad at me? I dont know how to turn it off... I'm sorry." Isa smiled and picked her up "Im not mad at all. Having a gift can be a lot sometimes but its okay. We'll figure it out." she said snuggling the girl into her. "Now Eva, you havent said a thing this whole time." Isabella said placing Emmy down and getting up. "Come on now. If you dont stop being invisible we might lose you for good!" She teased.

Then slowly, Eva began to reappear. The small girl ran straight to her mom with tears in her eyes. "Mama nooooooooooo." she wailed. Isabella lifted and held her high. "Much better! You know Eva..You get your gift next year so you have to stop being such a scaredy cat!" Eva nodded.  Despite being a Madrigal she was terrified about getting a gift. She often times wanted to spend all her time with Mirabel because she hoped her "Ungifted-ness" would rub off on her. Kids can be cruel sometimes.

While dinner cooked  the family was able to figure out that Emmy was able to turn people invisible who genuinely wanted to be invisible, and they would stay that way for up to a max of one hour or until they decided they didn't want to be invisible anymore. They messed around with the ability to make the kids laugh then joked about it while eating. However the laughter ended eventually and Abuela had an announcement.

"Bruno, Luisa, Mirabel, Camilo....don't you all wish to marry soon?" Abuela said gently. "Camilo. Mirabel you're both 25. Luisa 29. And Bruno..." she paused and everyone turned to look at him.

Bruno looked up shyly . See Bruno was special. A few years ago while the gifted family members were trying to see if they could evolve their powers like Isabella..Bruno had the most magnificent of the changes. He was able to turn back the sands of time for himself just a few years. Not many but 20 whole years. He was now 40.

Likewise the others were able to tweak their own. Antonio could communicate with animals telepathically now without needing to speak aloud. Camilo could change specific body parts on their own, and blend in with a background like a chameleon.  Luisa could change her form to different levels of muscle mass. They all now called these her "Levels" . Isabella could grow any plant she read about. Dolores could shut her ability on and off at will giving her great peace of mind. Pepa could control the weather more easily without much need for her emotions. Julieta could pass on healing abilities to anything she made, not just food. Baths she drew, sweaters she knitted, etc. It was all very exciting.

But back to the issue. The second generation of Madrigals were older now and in their 60's and the third generation's oldest were in their 30's. While one concern WAS the preservation of the gifts, the main one was just the general happiness of their loved ones. They all spent so much time serving others it was time to serve themselves. Dolores found Mariano. Isa found Mateo, a man from town who would adventure around the forest surrounding the Encanto. Now the singles of the family deserved a chance too.

Camilo had his fair share of trying to find himself a relationship but everybody always saw him as a jokester and never took him seriously. Luisa intimated everyone with her build and confidence. Mirabel was just too family focused. Bruno, well was Bruno and spent years hiding in the walls of his family's home and was still slightly feared by the towns folk. 

The atmosphere became somber and quiet. Abuela spoke up "Well...we'll leave this for another time. When you're all ready. Take your time."

Dinner ended and everyone eventually went to sleep. Bruno couldnt just quite yet and decided to try and have another vision. You see lately.... he's been having dreams of the night their father died and when the gift was given to their family. It was the same dream over and over but in the bushes...down the river to the left of his mother was.. a glow. What was it? WHAT. WAS. IT. He anxiously rubbed his head.

He set up his room to see a vision. The sand, the fires, the whole thing and quietly got to work.

The sands were strong and blowing violently but he stood up and focused harder. He's been able to see visions of the past before but never this far or too detailed. He strained his eyes more and more. He saw the glow! He walked closer to it. Almost making out what it is. A little more. He could see a shape! Finally! "Wait... why is the glow stretching.. somewhere else? No its not stretching...." He muttered, following the light that was now wrapping around the sand tornado towards the image of his grandmother on the ground with the candle.

"Its flowing to... to the candle? But why?" He turned focusing back to the glow's origin. The glow had a dark mass around it. "What is that...?"

His eyes widened. The glow was coming from the clasped hands of the mass... that mass was....

"A person.." Bruno whispered.