Chapter 48

"Ms. White, this was just delivered for you."

I looked up from the mail I was currently reading to find Leah bringing in a medium sized box wrapped beautifully with a golden paper. I stopped myself from rolling my eyes as I immediately knew where it came from. Refraining from letting out an exasperated breath, I quietly dismissed her after thanking.

Once Leah was gone closing the door on her way out, I gingerly picked up the 'gift' sitting innocently on my desk. Flipping it over, I saw a small card with the now familiar and stupidly elegant scrawl on it.

Bribe #18

Mission: Bring a smile on your face.

I love you.

-your dashing prince

I bit my lip, resisting the goofy grin that threatened to form on it. The stupid fool had made it his mission to shower me with stupidly cute gifts ever since Eva left, claiming to restart his bribes.

It had now been month since we dropped her off. Her eighteenth birthday had just passed, which she wanted to celebrate with her new friends at the college. So I had only sent her a gift and a giant cake for her birthday, this being the first one she celebrated without me, the first one where I wished her through FaceTime instead of wishing her in person. I didn't want to admit it but I felt like she was no longer my little sister. She was now an adult, a grown up and had a life of her own.

Apparently I wasn't so good in hiding my emotions that the devil of my boyfriend- it still felt strange calling him that when I felt that he was so much more- had been sending these little gifts every single day, either to my office or even at home to 'make me smile' ad he put it. Sometimes there would be more than one gift in a single day- just like today.

The thoughtful man had even made it to the point of hiring a person just to deliver his packages since I was still opposed to the idea of the paps finding out about us and interrupting. But this just made him sent the poor guy over with a package whenever he felt like it, regardless of the time. I had a feeling Leah and the delivery guy had already began hitting off quite well due to the frequency of his visits.

Shaking the thoughts of the probably budding romance between my secretary and the delivery guy out of my mind, I gently started peeling off the wrapping, taking care not to tear it. As much as I pretended to be annoyed, I couldn't help but feel excited every day at the prospect of being spoiled by the devil. Neither did that stop me from treasuring every single thing he sent me- down to his cards and the wrapping papers.

He had turned me into a fool like himself.

I peeled off the wrap to reveal a circular wooden box with a small lock in the front. I flicked the lock, making it open. I gently lifted off the lid which was still attached on one side. Immediately, a soft and lovely music filled my office room. I instantly recognized the song. Stand by me. I watched in awe at the dancing figures of Mickey and Minnie swaying with the music inside a glass ball, their features illuminated by the flickering of colorful lights all around them. Little snowflakes were continuously falling inside the glass, making it look magical. I squinted at something that seemed to be written inside the ball. Bringing it closer to my eyes, a wide smile slipped from my lips when I read the words.

Addie and Eve~ for the rest of time.

It was so cliché yet so typically Adrian that I felt as if I was a high schooler getting my first gift from my crush. Feeling silly yet happy at the same time, I focused my attention back to the dancing figurines, absorbing the familiar words of the song- as if hearing it for the first time, as if the song was made for me, by him.