Santa Baby

Snowflakes cascade  from the onyx of the evening sky, and the clock strikes its midnight hour in reminder that as lovely as this weekend had been, much like all good things - it had to come to an end. The cushy interior of the rental two-tiered wooden cabin made you feel at home, what with its roaring fireplace and leather couches. Coffee table decorated with an array of beautiful succulent plants, and soothing pumpkin scented candles and a fuzzy throw rug underneath that no doubt accentuates its granite top. A plasma tv mounted to the wall with dozens of channels to pick from, and a lovely balcony for outdoor sightseeing. How could anyone want to leave such a wintry paradise? It was terribly unfortunate that you couldn't extend the stay into a week long one, being that your job wasn't exactly lenient when it came to vacation days and with the new year on the horizon you'd have extra relaxation time in a short while.

"What are you so deep in thought about?" teases none other than your best friend of eight years. Kai Parker. Standing tall at 6'0 feet with a lanky yet built frame, he most often had a harem of women pursuing him everywhere. It wasn't as if you would ever follow in their footsteps, though, as a boundary had been established long ago at least in your own mind. To sacrifice a longtime friendship for the sake of curiosity would make everything awkward if the situation did not pan out, and it did not honestly seem worth the risk. He flashes you a playful grin, clutching a mug of steaming hot cocoa. As he is dressed comfortably in a matching set of Christmas themed pajamas - a navy blue long sleeve and matching sweats that don a snowflake design - it's certain he also wants to stay. "Is it the fact they said the snowfall is going to be a record five inches? We may just get snowed in, if we're lucky."

"Very funny, but we do we have to get a move on. I have that meeting with my boss in the morning and you know how much he loves tardy employees. We can catch the train if we get there in the next few minutes, I think." You get up from the comfort of your seat less than willing, but determined. "I'll go call outside since right now there's no bars, hopefully a better signal will be available."

"Might want to grab a coat, it's in the high 30's but they're saying it's gonna go down to 18 come daylight." He takes a long sip, only to get the chocolate beverage all over his top lip unintentionally and make you giggle.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know." You pull your khaki trench coat off the hook and twist the knob, only to be met with the wearisome sight of snow piled far above your head. It's his turn to laugh now, and he does, quite resoundingly too. "You've got to be kidding me, you basically manifested us being stuck. Foxworth is going to be so irritated that I'm not there. Now what are we going to do?" The worry is obvious in your creasing brow as you shut the door and lie against it with stress increasing.

"Don't worry, silly. Look, come to the kitchen." Kai takes you by the wrist over to the vast space, gesturing to the island where your own hot cocoa awaits. "I made you one too, and I added these cute snowman marshmallows the AirBnb woman left behind. Extra, too, since that's how I know you prefer yours." That had been thoughtful of him to make one without you having even asked, and it's much appreciated as it'll soothe the frazzled nerves rattling in your being.

"You always know how to cheer me up, thanks." Clinking your mug with his, you have a swig and it brings you back to your days as a kid since you hadn't drank it in years. "It's so good." A quiet passes  as you both finish off every drop and set the ceramics in the sink. "So, are we pulling an all nighter or what? There's like a dozen Christmas movies queued on Hulu."

"Tempting as that sounds, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to pass. Our day of skiing wore me out." Deep is his yawn as he stretches his arms, sluggishly journeying in the direction of the bedroom. "I figured you wouldn't have an ounce of energy. My legs feel like jelly."

"Are you forgetting I'm a total night owl, Malachai?" If there was anything Kai hated, it was being called by his true full name. He'd always claimed it sounded like it would belong to a dictator, or an unruly king, or even a cold blooded murderer. The annoyance every time was nothing if not hilarious.