2

Harry was sitting on the floor when Draco Malfoy arrived for his annual "shit on Harry and his friends" trip to their compartment - go figure. Ginny had taken his spot next to Hermione, who had left along with Ron for a bit due to prefect duties, and Neville was sitting next to Ron and holding the red head's legs on his lap. Sitting next to the compartment door and also on the floor was Luna who was reading the Quibbler - albeit upside down - through her odd glasses. Harry had one leg pulled up allowing his arm to use his knee as a rest while the other leg layed out in front of him and his left arm rested in his lap.

"Well, well, well, Saint Potter demoted to sitting on the ground like a common stray?" Malfoy sneered. Mentally Harry was flipping the blond off and telling him to kindly fuck off. However he had already deigned to be nice to Malfoy - or as nice as he could be - since he would likely be going to Slytherin this year.

To Malfoy's surprise, Ron doesn't jump to his friend's defense and only shoves a pumpkin pasty into his mouth and looking in the other direction. "I wouldn't call it a demotion. Less people have sat down here so technically it would be a promotion, right?"

Malfoy seemed taken aback by this response and his lackeys just seemed confused, though that was nothing new. Before the blond could tell Harry something probably offensive, Luna speaks up. "Hello, Draco."

This threw Malfoy even further, it was rare for people to refer to him by his first name. "Uh, hi," he replies, his guard dropping in his confusion. He seemed to quickly realize his mistake, turning on his heel and strutting away - because unlike Harry's father Draco Malfoy very much did strut. Crabbe and Goyle take a moment to realize that their fearless leader had left, following his lead a beat later with twin sneers that did nothing to help their already questionable physical appearance.

"That was bloody fantastic!" Ginny crows as her a her brother promptly burst into laughter. "When you said you were going to try to be decent to Malfoy I wasn't expecting that reaction from him!"

"I might act like Malfoy's best bloody friend if it gets that kind of reaction!" Ron adds. Neville chuckles goes back to looking at the Quibbler over Luna's shoulder. He couldn't read a damn word of it because it was upside down, he couldn't imagine how Luna could comprehend any of it through her glasses.

"We should probably change now," Hermione says, putting her book away. Harry groans and gets up from the floor, gathering his robes so that he and the other boys could change while the girls wait outside for a moment. The guys had always gone first as the girls didn't take nearly as long. Hermione liked to joke that the pair couldn't even put their pants on correctly without her and the boys couldn't even argue about it.

Harry, who was used to changing quickly as to avoid getting in trouble, was the first done as usual and sat in place waiting for the other to finish. Neville glances over as he pulls on his blazer. "Hey, why are you wearing first year robes?" he asks, eyes flicking down to the Hogwarts crest that laid where he was used to seeing the Gryffindor one.

"Oh, uh, I sort of got expelled over the summer? I was invited back, but they have to resort me anyway," Harry explains, fingers plucking at his sleeve. Neville frowns a bit.

"Expelled?" he asks. Ron watches the exchange happen, fully prepared to jump in if necessary. It wasn't. "What happened? Are you okay?"

Harry smiles a bit, fingers stopping their anxious abuse on his clothing. "Magic in front of muggles, the usual." Neville laughs a bit.

"Well, at least you're back. You're coming back to Gryffindor, right?"

Harry's fingers twitch. "I'm...I'm not sure. The hat's been trying to toss me into Slytherin since first year." Neville's eyes widen in surprise, but thankfully none of the others could see any malice or disgust in them. Neville wasn't that type of person.