New Beginnings

When they responded to a call of a shark attack on the freeway, most of the crew of the 118 didn't know what to think. Except for Evan Buckley that is. He always had something to say.

"So," Buck said as they rode in the truck, sirens blazing, "this is a new one, right?"

"I've never seen it," Jane agreed. "It will be a first."

"New year. New disasters!" the other blonde announced cheerfully.

"Oi!" Chimney glared over at him, "Don't jinx us Buckley."

Jane turned to Eddie with a half-smirk. "Why do I think he already did?"

"Because he did," Eddie agreed easily.

"Greeeaatttt," she groaned, earning another smile from Diaz. It may have been lighthearted in the truck, going to the scene, but as always, once the truck stopped, the crew was on the ground, ready for business.

The scene was chaos. The truck carrying the shark had fallen over, spilling gallons of water all over the freeway. Crowds of people had exited their cars and were all standing around the ocean preservation truck, watching in fascination, phones out, while a man was screaming in pain.

"LAFD make room!" Bobby yelled, leading them through the cars and crowds to the injured man who was sprawled and gasping, his arm inside the mouth of a shark. At least five people, were keeping the shark down, keeping him from thrashing too much and attacking more than he'd already done. One of the ocean preservation workers was using a small hose attached to the back of their truck to give the shark water. 

"What the hell?" Buck let out, coming up from behind Bobby. Jane and the rest of the crew followed, and Jane couldn't help but agree with his sentiment.

"Yup. This is a new one," she murmured, her mind going to her 14-year-old self, sitting on the couch after dark with Gabe watching a particular 80s horror movie, causing herself to involuntarily lean back.

"Tiger Shark," a woman yelled to be heard over the crowd, the shark's thrashing, and the man's screams. "We were transporting her to be released into the wild! Truck jackknifed!"

"Jaws!" Bobby announced.

"Right?" Chimney said, causing Jane to let out a startled chuckle, glad that she wasn't the only one who's brain automatically went to the classic scary movie. Bobby was less amused and leveled them both with a meaningful stare. Chimney was the only one who had the decency to look sheepish, Jane just pinched her lips to stop nervously laughing. "Oh right. Those jaws."

"I'm on it," Eddie told them, going back to the truck.

"How did his arm get in there?" Chimney asked, going forward to see what he was working with as a paramedic.

"Diego was trying to get what water was left in our pump system! She can't breathe without it!" the poor man explaining was on the verge of tears, as he continued to struggle with the shark, which was of course, understandable. This caused Jane to get out of her movie induced nervousness, and to come back to the job. Her feelings didn't matter. These people needed help. This shark needed help.

"How much time does she have left?" Hen asked the important question.

"Minutes," the first woman explained.

"Uh, do we wait that long or, just, you know," Buck lifted up a metal bar, but Jane and Bobby stopped him before he could make a big mistake. Before they could explain the situation to him though, the shark's defense came from the least likely source.

"NO!" the man, who's arm was in the shark's teeth yelled. "Don't kill her! She's come so far!"

"What is wrong with you Buck?" Jane hissed at him, pushing him back and gesturing to the sign on the side of their truck. "Can't you read! Their job is to save marine life."