xvii. rooftop

CHAPTER XVII
rooftop

NEW YORK, USA — 2017

"HEY, what's up? I'm Spider-Man."

Those were the exact words Noah could hear once he had found himself standing on the rooftop of Liz's house. He had been looking for Peter for ages, but he had finally found him.

In the distance, Peter was wearing his Spider-Man suit, pulling off his shirt which he wore on top of the suit. He held his mask within his hands, mumbling away to himself as he sat on the edge of the rooftop.

"Just thought I'd swing by and say hello to my buddy Peter." He continued. "Oh, what's up, Ned? Hey, where's Peter, anyways? He must be around-"

Peter sighed underneath his breath, staring off into the distance after he tossed his shirt to the side.

Noah began to approach the spiderling, his steps gentle and almost silent. He didn't want to startle Peter, but at the same time, he kind of wanted to, just to brighten up the mood, of course.

"God. This is stupid." Peter murmured again. "What am I doing?"

"Peter?"

Peter flinched, startled by the sudden voice. He finally turned around, holding his breath as he thought his secret identity had just been revealed.

But, it wasn't. To his surprise, it was only Noah.

Noah looked down at the American with a warm smile. He took a seat right next to Peter, gently pulling his knees up to his chest for some comfort.

Peter nervously chuckled underneath his breath, his gaze now fallen upon Noah. He anxiously scratched the back of his neck, his legs dangling off the edge of the building.

"H-Hey, Noah." He stuttered. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here because of you."

Those words immediately made Peter blush. His chocolate brown eyes were slightly widened, his face flushed into a deep red colour.

Noah glanced over at Peter, seeing that he was blushing. He didn't question it though, he just cocked an eyebrow upwards playfully.

"Well, uh, you don't have to sit here. With me." Peter said. "I don't wanna ruin your night."

"I'd very much rather sit here with you, spinne." Noah murmured. "Besides, I wanted to know if you're okay? Especially after all of that back there."

Peter suddenly glanced to the side. He tilted his head to the side ever so slightly, staring over at the view before him.

"I'm just a little overwhelmed, that's all." He coughed.

Overwhelmed? Huh? It seemed much more than just being overwhelmed. It seemed more like pressure and stress.

"Does Ned know?" Noah asked.

"Well, yeah, he kind of found out on accident, I guess."

"Ned wants you to go down there as Spider-Man, doesn't he?"

As Noah awaited for Peter's answer, Peter just stared off and into the distance, still admiring the view of the city right before him.

Noah inhaled in a deep breath, his sea green eyes focused on Peter's features. He titled his head to the side, anxiously chewing down onto his bottom lip, attempting to grasp onto Peter's attention.

"You know, you don't have to go down there as Spider-Man."

"But, everyone thinks I'm a loser, Noah."

"The best loser of them all."

Peter looked back over at Noah, the two of them making eye contact. They shared slight but heartwarming smiles, unbothered about everything that was going on around them right now.

They had fallen for each other but hadn't even acknowledged it yet, too afraid to even admit it.

To intrude on the sweet moment, the booming sound of an explosion was heard within the far distance.

The two teenagers stopped admiring each other. They began to glance around, only to see visible clouds of smoke and flames within the night sky.

"What was that?" Noah whispered.

"Looks like an explosion." Peter responded.

"That's not normal." Noah laughed anxiously. "Right?"

"No. Definitely not."

And with those words, the spiderling hopped back onto his two feet. He pulled his mask over his face, still looking at the place where the explosion had happened.

Noah stood up, too. He glared over at Peter, cocking an eyebrow upwards. He had no idea what Peter was up to, but he knew it was something challenging.

"I'm gonna go check it out, alright?" Peter spoke.

Before Peter could even swing off and into the distance, Noah had gripped tightly onto his shoulder. He pulled Peter back, his face etched with irritation.

"Without me?"

"Of course I'm going without you." Peter told. "You're gonna get hurt."

"I can fight, too, Parker."

"Just stay here, 'kay?"

And with those words, Peter shot a web into the air, forcing himself off the rooftop. He swung off the building, soon not being seen within sight.

"Scheisse!"

As Noah yelled, his German accent sounded much more thicker than usual. He didn't want Peter to go all alone, especially after such a big explosion. He knew that Peter was going to get hurt. He just knew it.