10

I wanted to look around at everything but instead we ended up heading down into one of the tunnels Macallister had talked about his people traveling through. We were at the end of the line that had formed by all of us who had just arrived. We moved steadily along. The tunnels were large, smooth, and chilly. It was lit up by a few lamps hanging above our heads. Random tunnels opened up off the walls.

        "This is the main tunnel," Macallister explained as he ran a hand though his dark hair. "It leads to the center. That's where you will be staying for a little. It's where our government is located."

        "Why do we have to stay there?" I asked.

        "Because they want to make sure you're willing to stand up to the city," he said. "And we have to find a place that you will do well working in before we can just let you wander freely. Everyone does something, no matter how small a job, because out here you need to help each other. We're not just given things like in the city."

        Archer grabbed my hand again and I held on to his tightly. We reached an exit filled with light. The sound of people talking, laughing, and cheering grew louder with every step. I was shocked when the tunnel opened up to reveal a large house that had been painted a pretty white. It looked extremely old fashioned. I had only seen a few houses like it on my computer pad from a history lesson on architecture.

        "This is the only house that is made out of wood." Macallister informed us. "It isn't safe to live in if the others decide to find us so we only use it for special occasions and events. We make our homes of concrete."

        We walked up towards the large wrap around porch of the house. On either side of us stood people watching us. The all looked so different. They all had their own way that they styled their hair, All of their clothes were mismatched with different colors, styles, and designs. The material looked a lot like the itchy blanket Archer and I had used to keep ourselves warm while others had thinner material on. Some continued to talk as we went by while others started to quiet themselves down and face towards the large house.

    "They look so strange," Archer whispered to me.

"They look like they do what they want," I smiled.

"Of course you would like that," Archer said as we came to a stop on the porch with everyone else. The large door with the stained glass opened suddenly and we were nearly rushed inside. The door shut behind us as we stood in an entry hall. In front of us stood a woman and a man who were on the slightly older side. Next to them stood a man who looked to be in his middle to late twenties with a sharp face.

        "Greetings, new comers," said the older woman. "Welcome to your new life outside the city. I am Marie, my husband is Jackson, and this is our son Aaron."

        No one said a word. I met the eyes of the son, Aaron. He had a sharp face, much like Macallister, but with lighter hair. He had a long scar on one of his arms that he had crossed over his chest in an unwelcome way.