𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

Fifth Grade

Fifth Grade

"Alright, class!" Mrs.Webster clapped, gaining the room full of nine and ten-year-olds attention. She waited patiently for everyone to quiet down before continuing. " Recess is in five minutes, please clean up your areas."

I quickly cleaned up my space, making sure the area was neat and my supplies were put away. As the class lined up for recess Mrs.Webster told me to stay back.

" So I understand that this might be your last week with us." Mrs. Webster smiles softly, a hint of sadness in her tone.

Mrs. Webster was my favorite teacher.

She understood my situation at home and instead of being hard on me, she worked with me to make sure that I understood the work. Some days she would even pack me lunches because my grandmother would often forget.

"Yes ma'am," I replied excitedly. " I've been adopted by this nice man and woman. They want me to move to Los Angeles with them."

" Well that's exciting isn't it?" She asked as she scooted her chair back, rummaging through her snack draw.

"Yes, I've never been outside of New York before."

Mrs. Webster placed a pack of Twinkies onto the desk. Next to it was a keychain with a basketball attached to it." Don't tell the others," she winks. A grateful smile spread on my lips as I bowed my head, thanking her.

"Go play, Dominic."

I push out of the seat, grabbing my Twinkies and keychain before running out of the class. "Thank you, Mrs. Webster!" I yell over my shoulder, closing the door behind me as I exit the room.

I ran to the basketball courts where my friends awaited me. They were already playing a game of basketball when I made it to the court. I sat on the sides watching them play until the next game.

Some of them were good players.

Others... not so much.

A little while after watching the two teams run up and down the court, I decided to move to a shady bench not too far from them.

When I sat down, I noticed a girl sitting on the bench next to me all alone.

The sounds of her sniffling made me frown as I cocked my head, observing her play with Bratz dolls by herself.

I knew how it felt to be lonely. That's why I decided to get up and sit next to her.

The girl turned her head slightly, looking at me through her hair before turning back to her dolls. We sat in comfortable silence until I adjusted my leg. The plastic of that packaging had rubbed together, gaining her attention.

The girl looked from her dolls to my pocket closest to her. I studied her as her gaze shifted towards me, her light brown eyes locked with mine.

She had freckles dusting over her nose, a few scattered on her cheeks and forehead. A mole sat a few inches across from her right upper lip.