Part 33

Flos and Scale are discussing the ways to seal the hole when something happens; from that very hole they do not want to exist, the head of a child pokes out. Startling both Flos and Scale.

"Oh, people. I—"

The sound of a child talking. Before Scale can listen till the end of the sentence, Flos has already kicked the head back into the hole. Still in the posture of crouching from earlier, Scale turns his head to look at the standing Flos, whose expression is mostly covered by the leaf she uses to cover her face.

Turning to look at the hole, Scale nods, praising Flos, "Good job,"

"It was a reflex," Flos accepts the praise well but still says modestly, "Anyway, now that we can be sure they can come through this hole, we gotta seal this hole fast,"

"How?" there is no result from their discussion and Scale doesn't have anything on him that can seal the hole. They come here truly unprepared for this discovery.

"What if I bury this passage?" Flos gives an idea

"Will it affect the building, the guest house?" Scale is afraid the guest house might collapse, he doesn't want to implicate other people in this

"Hey!! You—"

This time, Scale punches the head back into the hole. Looking up at Flos, Scale says in surprise, "I just realise it, they speak our language,"

"Otherwise, how did they manage to fool the servants?" Flos takes a good look just now, she is sure that head belongs to a Devil. Looks like a Human, but still a being that loves chaos and can use magic.

"Did it come to scout this world before?" Scale murmurs in thought, "What even are they?"

"No idea," Flos can't say for sure without proof to convince Scale, although it looks like Scale will believe her words without question. It's hard to explain to others this knowledge though. Saying it all comes from intuition won't cut it.

"If," thinking of another idea, Flos asks Scale about the feasibility, "What if I flood this passage with plants that choke even the hole? Do you think I can do that?"

Scale thinks about it and poses a question, "What if they burn the plants? If you give them a forest, they can make a forest fire,"

This is no good, that is no good, Flos is a bit discouraged. That's why their discussion on sealing the hole makes no progress.

Standing up, Scale looks down at the hole, "We could capture that being for interrogation, but I don't feel it would end well,"

"They might bewitch you," Flos nods in agreement, giving an example, "If they can offer something more than what a person can usually obtain, or a promise on fulfilling someone's inner desire, weak-minded people might have just believed their words without question,"

Scale summarises acutely, "Trouble,"

"What else but trouble?" Flos shrugs casually

Both of them then turn their attention back to the hole, trying to figure out a way to seal this place of abomination.

Irritated after not getting ideas that won't be shot down by Scale's reasoning, Flos grits her teeth, "Who made this hole in the 1st place? Annoying!"

"Let's take a break?" Scale suggests, patting Flos's back in a gesture to calm her down. This young woman is about to lose her temper, Scale is slightly worried about the consequence.

"No," Flos shakes her head and inhales deeply, "I have had enough with this stupid hole and this stupid passage,"

Scale silently retracts his hand back and steps aside, knowing Flos will do something to end this hole. Inhales and exhales, still covered by the fragrant leaf, Flos releases the puffed-up May-Day from her hair. Eyeing the dark hole coldly, Flos then lowers May-Day, closer to the hole, and allows their florets to disperse, starting by filling the corner of the hole until the hole is wholly covered by the florets.