Chapter 17 - Lose a Battle Win a War

Virgil's (PoV)

Of course Damien was staying at the Crown, posh as all get out, and here I was still shirtless, arms streaked with blood, wearing a tatty, old pair of track pants, no shoes and with my hair a tangled mess being dragged through the foyer to the elevators by two men in black characters. I'm sure the tourists lounging around on the expensive couches, surrounded by monumental flower arrangements, chandeliers and sipping their espresso wondered whether the place was as classy as they thought.

In the elevator I stood silently between Damien and the PA. Damien still had an iron grip on my arm, his face expressionless. Paul looked uncomfortable, not that I could tell much with his dark glasses still in place but he seemed to be biting his bottom lip a lot. He did a double take when he first saw me at the house, not surprising considering the state I was in. He kept glancing down at the blood drying on my arms. I looked down too, it had landed on my feet and pants.... I looked like the walking wounded. My arms were stinging from the claw marks but it looked worse than it felt.  The pain in my chest is now only an ache and I can breath easier.  It's a relief.

I wasn't paying attention to which floor we got off and only realised how high we were when Paul opened the door to the room and I got smacked in the face with an awesome view of the Melbourne skyline. It took up one whole wall... truly awesome. And it wasn't just a room it was a huge suite. If I hadn't been kidnapped and manhandled to get me here I would have been impressed, instead I took a step into the room and just stopped. Shaking off Damien's hand as if it was plague ridden. I hoped he took note of the look of disgust on my face. I had gone as far as I was willing to go for the sake of my friends.

"That's it. I've had enough. Let's get this conversation over and done with." I wasn't going to take another step. Damien was removing his wallet and mobile from his jacket pocket, then his wrist watch, placing them carefully on hallstand by the door. When he turned and looked at me, for a moment I thought I had reached him and this was going to be a relatively painless experience but no... next minute I am hauled over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes and carried off through one of the many doors around the room. We went through a posh looking bedroom and I got put back on my feet in a swish grey marble bathroom. I stood there, arms crossed.

"Take a shower, you stink of humans." I went to rush for the door but he blocked it. "I will bathe you myself if you want." I backed off.

"As far as humans go, I live with them, work with them, fuck them and it's my life now. I have nothing to do with your sort. Yours is the smell I want to wash off." I pointed to the spot where he had held my arm. I tried to look as strong as I could. I wanted to prove I wasn't the 15 year old boy who he had treated disgracefully. He'd never wanted to speak to me back then, in fact, he had made a point of avoiding him. "This was supposed to be a quick talk, you've already dragged me from my home and now I have to make myself presentable to you before you'll speak to me. Who the fuck do you think you are. I have no allegiance to the pack or you any longer. You are nothing to me."  The tightness in my chest is waning, thank goodness.  I'm feeling stronger.  It's easier to stand up to him.

"I'm warning you." Damien had to stop and breath deeply, his face was turning purple. He was so angry he could barely contain himself. "Do as I say or you will be sorry." He stood close and tried to stare me down, he was doing a good job of it but I couldn't let him even have an inch.

"Fuck off! What is so important that you have to come all the way here?" I saw the look on his face change. It got scarier. His eyes started to glow and shimmer, his fangs dropped and for a moment I could have sworn I saw his wolf face. "Oh Shit."

Next minute my track pants are off and I'm being pushed into the shower recess. Suddenly finding yourself naked kind of takes the edge off being angry. Damien took off his jacket and reached in the shower and turned on the taps, then pushed me under the jet of water. He shut me in and held the door handle. I had no choice he'd one this battle but not the war.

.....

Damien's (PoV)

This wasn't going as planned Damien thought to himself as he left the bathroom and went to find The PA. Paul was standing by the huge window talking to someone on his mobile. He quickly finished the call.

"Can you go down stairs and see if you can find him some clothes and get a first aid kit." Damien rolled up his shirts sleeves and picked up the hotel phone. "Can you send up a pot of coffee and a couple of sandwiches, anything will do." He slammed down the phone. He was tense, couldn't shake off his anger.

"Yes sir, anything else." Paul went to turn away and then decided to ask a question that under normal circumstances he wouldn't have but as nothing was as it should be he felt he had to. The man he had gotten to know well over the last few years, was acting like a stranger. He had always been composed, emotionless even in the most stressful situations. It made for a great leader. However, recently he'd closed himself off more than usual and the topic of Virgil sent him to a dark place. "Alpha? It's clear Virgil wants nothing to do with the Lycan world, why are we here?"

Damien growled, his wolf pawing at the ground as his anger flared again like a forest fire. "What Virgil thinks or feels has nothing to do with you. Go do what I asked."  The PA left without another word.  It was obvious that Virgil was not a subject he wished to discuss with him.  

Damien prowled the room.  Stopping now and then to look out the window, as if the answer he was looking for was out there somewhere.  Every thought brought him back to Virgil, seeing him in the flesh for the first time in two years had been harder than he thought it would be.  Seeing  his beautiful hair and his body on display for those humans to see and touch made him sick.  When they were in his bedroom and the scent of his douche bag lover filled the room he had wanted to hurt him, he wanted to make sure James never touched Virgil again.  This was definitely not how he wanted things to go.  He wanted to discuss the situation calmly with Virgil.  Being close to him was making things even worse.   

Why did the bond still exist, even in it's weakened form it was torturing him .  What had gone wrong with the Rejection and why was he the only one suffering.  Virgil looked strong and brave. He'd grown into a beautiful, soooo beautiful, strong willed man, who still wanted more than anything to be free of the pack.