Chapter Twenty-Eight

Genevieve

I woke up in an empty bed. I frowned at the thought of Asher leaving again. I got out of bed and walked to the living room. Sunlight was shining through the open curtains as Jordyn played with Elise.

"Hey," I greeted her while walking closer.

Jordyn smiled at me. "Morning."

I picked up Elise and started tossing her in the air as she giggled. Even though she was born a few weeks ago, she looks like she's two. Werewolves age faster until they are five, then they age normally. Since Elise has Alpha Blood, she grows even faster than regular werewolves.

"Do you know where Asher is?" I asked Jordyn after I put Elise back down on the carpet.

"He had some pack stuff. Shawn was supposed to stay here, but he got a call from Asher," Jordyn replied.

"Why would Asher need Shawn?" I voiced my thoughts.

A huge smile spread across Jordyn's face. "His mate," she said simply.

Shawn finally found his mate. I know how much he wants a mate. He's dreamed about finding her. It must've been hard for him when everyone found their mates. Shawn's dad had him training to take over the Royal Beta title.

Instead of finding his mate, he was stuck at the pack house learning how to be a good Beta. After his training, he still didn't go out to find her. He said he would just "let nature take its course" or some shit like that.

"How long have they been gone?" I questioned.

Jordyn shrugged. "Shawn left an hour ago."

I wonder who his mate is. She'll probably be all nice and shy, but not around Shawn. She'll love Shawn, like all mates do. She'll love his short black hair, his cocky attitude, and his scent. What if she hates his scent? I know a lot of people who can't stand the smell of Shawn. What if she's like allergic to coconuts and whenever she smells Shawn, she like passes out or something.

"What's with that face?" Jordyn asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. "You look scared."

I shrugged. "Just thinking scenarios about Shawn's mate."

Jordyn laughed, but stopped when her phone started ringing. She grinned and held it up to me. "Your mate's calling," she sang, waving the phone in my face.

"You have his number?" I raised an eyebrow. I don't even think I have his number. And he's my mate! She shrugged and handed me the phone.

I answered the call and held it up to my ear. "Is Eve okay?" Asher blurted when I answered.

"Yeah. I just woke up," I said.

"Oh. Hey, babe," Asher replied.

"Don't 'hey babe' me. I woke up alone this morning."

"I'm sorry. There was some rogue business that I took care of. I'm coming back now."

"Mhm," I mumbled.

"I'll see you soon. I love you," Asher said before hanging up.

I took the phone off my ear and looked down at the blank screen. I will never get used to hearing those three words out of his mouth. I didn't imagine him saying it before. "Oh. My. God!" Jordyn screeched. "He said 'I love you!"

Smiling, I nodded my head. "He's been saying it for a while," I admitted.

"But you didn't say it back," she noted. I nodded and Jordyn tilted her head in confusion. "I thought you turned on your emotions though."