Chapter Two - A Chilly Dream

Unedited

The sloshing of water was loud, echoing off the dull, brick walls of the small room. The unknown light source flickered, like lightning, there one second, then gone the next. More water was being pushed into the room. The water rising. Higher and higher.

The frostbiting cold dug into her skin, like needles pinching her at every chance they could. Gasps of breath, water filling her lungs more than the frigid air around her.

She could hear laughter, a sharp cry, her own scream, a shot of a gun.

Her arms tried to keep her afloat, but she was heavy. Heavier than she remembered herself being.

The light flickered a last time, the darkness taking over. That's when the noises got louder. She could hear her screaming, shouting at someone. Their laughter was all that was returned.

The top of her head hit the ceiling, the water rushing up past her ears and covering her face.

It was silent. Eyes clenched shut, breath held.

Something cold grabbed her ankle, dragging her down. Her eyes snapped open, the disfigured face and pitch black eyes of a corpse staring right back up at her.

She screamed.

Pickled coloured eyes were quickly unveiled, frantically looking left and right around the dark room she now sat in. Her body felt cold, the sweat on her skin acting like a damp cloth, leaving her shivering. Dark hair was tied back into a low ponytail, the few strands that had escaped stuck to her face.

A single shaky hand reached blindly out to her left, gripping onto the solid device that sat where she left it. She subconsciously turned it on and pressed the first contact out of the six she had. Her shivering form waited with baited breath, hoping for them to answer.

"Cami?" The bleary voice spoke, deep with sleep. "What's wrong? Did you have another one?"

Cameron stared straight ahead of her, eyes unfocused as her trembling slowed. She breathed in deeply, the voice calming her down once again.

"Cameron?"

"Yeah?" Her voice cracked, throat feeling raw. The hand that wasn't holding her phone rubbed the front of her throat softly.

"Can you breathe?" The person on the other side questioned in concern. Cameron stopped herself from thinking about the time she wasn't able to do that when she had woken up.

"Yeah, it didn't get that bad this time." Cameron admitted, the image of the pitch black eyes flashing through her head. Her eyes focused slightly, moving to the table beside her bed. 04:07 shone back at her face in neon green. "Arlo, I'm sorry for-."

"Nope." Arlo interrupted her, sounding more awake than he did a minute ago. "You don't need to apologise. I get it."

Cameron was quickly reminded that she wasn't the only one to have nightmares after their water adventure. She opened her mouth to say something.

"And don't say thank you either."

Her lips quirked upwards a little at Arlo knowing her so well.

"Okay, I won't." She yawned, her mind catching on that it was only four in the morning.

She heard Arlo shuffling about on the other side of the phone before he spoke again. "You going to head back to bed?"

"I probably should. I'm heading to Reid's tomorrow." Cameron reminded him, having only just remembered herself.