Chapter 9

note: the beginning is kinda boring! bear with me :) and also this is not edited. 

Chapter Nine

Water lapped softly at my face and I felt bits of wood press into my face. Groggily, I opened my eyes only to see the landscape of the forest floor. The bottom half of my body was still floating in the water.

“Oh jeez,” I said, craning my neck up to take a look at my surroundings. I brought my hands beside me and pushed myself up. Turning over, I sat on the ground and crossed my legs.

Judging by the sky, I would say it was about 5-6ish in the afternoon. It was summer though, so the sunlight’s a bit messed – it would’ve been 8 at night for all I know. The area around me looked completely unfamiliar and I felt a wave of panic wash over me. What happened? Where am I now? I strained my brain to find the answers, and my head throbbed blindingly.

“Oh,” I said dumbly, sitting there in the dirt.

I remember going over the Drew, Damien and Nate because they needed “help” with their canoe. Turns out it was just a stupid joke. I grabbed a handful of dirt from the ground in anger and tossed in into the river, causing small ripples. I sat there for a while longer, just staring into the open space.

A hoot from an owl came through the silence and I alerted my senses. Looking around, my heart dropped to my stomach. It was almost dark, nearing twilight. I needed to find my way back. Now.

A light bulb flashed over my head and I quickly reached into my pocket to pull out the map of the forest. With any luck, I would be able to pinpoint where I was, then work my way back to the camp from there. Unfortunately, what I actually pulled out of my pocket was a big ball of paper mush. A big soggy ball of black and white smeared ink paper mush.

Looking at the ball in my hand, I threw it into the lake. “Damn it.”

I got up slowly and walked into the forest, seeing as there was no way I could swim my way back. There was a small clearing but I decided to just follow my directional instincts and try to sense my way back. Each step I took came with a slosh from all the water in the shoes.

I don’t really know how long I walked for, probably for hours but soon the sky began to darken. If I had known where I was going, I would’ve felt slightly better. That wasn’t the case. I had no idea where I was going, no idea where I was, no idea what time it is. Just…I had no idea. I’ve never felt so hopeless in my life.

My stomach grumbled fervently and I felt light headed. Using the support from a near by tree, I sat down on the ground. Even though my eyesight had adjusted to the darkness, it was still pretty dark. Now that I was finally unfocused from trying to find my way back, the impact of my situation hit me fully.

I was stuck in the middle of who knows where in an immensely big forest. I didn’t have a map, I hadn’t eaten since lunch time, probably no one would care that I was even missing. My conclusion? I’m going to die out here.

Fatigue, hunger, anger, distress, loneliness and depression all hit me at once and tears pricked at my eyes. You have to be strong, I told myself as I huddled against the tree.

There was a snap of a twig and I jerked my head up, not daring to make a sound. More sounds of moving feet came from around me. A dark shadow moved amongst the trees. Silently, I took off my shoe, ready for attack. No matter what I’m stuck in, I’m so not going down by being some animal’s dinner.

The shadow stopped moving and I held my breath, sure that it saw me. I was sure it did because it moved closer towards me. When it came in aiming distance, I threw my shoe at it with all the energy I had. The shoe hit with a thud.