xxiii. interrupted

CHAPTER XXIII
interrupted

CHAPTER XXIIIinterrupted

NEW YORK, USA — 2017

IT HAD BEEN A GOOD FEW DAYS SINCE THE INCIDENT BACK IN WASHINGTON. Everybody had returned to their families and friends, traumatised by the situation, but also thankful that they hadn't died.

But, the whole talk of the school wasn't about the incident anymore. It was all about homecoming.

Literally. The only thing that everybody was chattering on about was homecoming and getting stunning dates. That was it. Nothing else.

Noah, though, didn't even have a date yet and only to make it worse, it was homecoming tomorrow. So, he didn't particularly have the chance anymore to ask anybody to homecoming, did he?

He obviously had his eye on Peter though, seeing today as his last chance to ask him out. He was too nervous though, exaggerated and anxious thoughts running throughout his mind.

He wasn't sure if Peter felt the same way as he did. In fact, he didn't even know if Peter was up for dating boys. He just assumed that Peter wanted to keep things mutual and friendly.

But, he was going to try and hint his feelings to Peter anyway, just in time before the day of homecoming.

So, currently, he was wandering throughout the almost empty hallways of the school. He was supposed to be in class right now, but had decided to skip it in order to find Peter.

He fiddled with his fingers anxiously, his head lowered as he stared down at his feet. He just assumed that Peter was busy studying as he always was, making him think that the spiderling wasn't in any of his classes at the moment.

Then, just as he turned another corner, the bell of the school began to ring, making him slow down his walking pace ever so slightly.

But, all of a sudden, some doors close by swung open, causing Noah to glance up from looking down.

Peter was literally standing right there. He halted within his tracks after looking up, only to see Noah standing right before him.

Noah stopped within his footsteps as well, his lips slowly separating as he gave himself a quick moment to just stare before even greeting Peter.

"Uh, hey." He spoke.

"Hey." Peter replied.

Noah looked down for a few moments, practically swaying around on his two feet. He nibbled down onto his bottom lip nervously, his lips tugging into a slight smile as his cheeks began to fade into a pinky hue.

Peter just admired Noah for a few moments, his breath hitched at the gorgeous sight. He could feel himself smiling as well, especially after seeing Noah's charming smile.

"I, uh, wanted to tell you something." Noah stuttered.

"Um, me too, actually."

Noah's head shot up at that comment, his sea green eyes immediately meeting with Peter's dark brown ones. He nodded his head ever so slightly, still standing a few metres away from Peter.

"You do?" He murmured.

"Well, yeah."

"I guess you can go first if you want."

Peter nodded at that response, pressing his lips into a slightly thin line. He nodded his head as well, attempting to hide his anxiousness with a smile.

"I lost the internship." He finally blurted out.

Noah glanced up, knowing that Peter was referring to the Stark Internship. He inhaled in a deep breath, tilting his head to the side as his features began to slightly sadden.

"I'm sorry." He told. "I'm always here if you need me, you know?"

Peter's face brightened up at that comment. His teeth grazing against his bottom lip, his lips began to part, his gaze still focused upon Noah.

"Yeah, uh, thanks."

Now, it was Noah's turn to speak. He wanted to avoid spitting the truth out. But, at the same time, he had to just say the truth. Then, he would know that Peter would be the right person for him or not.

"Thanks for saving me from dying, by the way." He mumbled.

"Yeah, not a problem."

"I kind of, uh- I kind of wanted to ask you something, too." Noah stammered. "I really lov-"

Before he could even finish his sentence off completely, firm and loud footsteps were heard from behind the two, immediately intruding on the conversation altogether.

Both of the teenagers glanced behind themselves, only to see Liz Allan approaching them both with a bright smile on her glossy lips.

"Hey, guys." She greeted.

She seemed to be approaching Peter specifically though, which made Noah think that he should just leave the conversation altogether and forget about what he was even going to say to Peter.

Before Peter could even greet Liz back, Noah began to slowly walk away from the two without a warning, his lips tugged into a forced smile.

Both Liz and Peter glanced over at Noah, each of them watching as he steadily wandered off, feeling concerned for him almost instantly.

"Where are you going?" Liz asked.

"Uh, I need to study." Noah simply lied. "For a test."

He was lying and he fucking knew it. He was hurt, knowing that he would completely be unable to open up to Peter about his feelings from now on, especially after being interrupted on.

As he walked right off, he watched the two chattering away, feeling as though they had even more of a connection with each other than he ever had with Peter.