Book 1: Water | 23 | The Crazy King II

Art drawn by me! Look at our precious baby bean!

'How in the name of the Ocean and Moon Spirits did we end up here?'

Ayaan had no clue how to react, sitting at this table with a feast before them. Guards blocked off every entrance and exit, and in the room with them? The King. Yes, the King of Omashu was walking behind them, slowly making his way to his seat at the other side.

How did they end up here? Not understanding the situation did nothing to calm his nerves.

He could effectively blame all of this on his family; Ayaan could only look at his siblings and Aang in disappointment. This disappointment was laced with a small amount of anger, with just a pinch of pure irritation. This was all on them for being stupid. Because of this, he chose to remain silent.

Though the scowl on his face remained, it probably got worse the longer they were there.

Sokka was having his fill of the meats served, Katara also eating due to the amount of pressure in the room. Aang was vegetarian, so nothing served looked appetizing to him at all. And Ayaan? How could he eat when his guard was up to the max? There was no way to do so. So he just sat there, silently fuming.

He didn't notice or care that all of them were carefully avoiding meeting his gaze right now.

With them, they weren't sure what to say to alleviate the clear anger emanating from their brother. He hadn't spoken a word since being there, at all. They knew for a fact that it was all their fault, and they dragged him into it. And on top of that, he didn't have his spear?

Ayaan was angry beyond measure right now, they were sure of it.

The King spoke up, causing everyone to look towards him, "The people in my city have gotten fat from too many feasts," He said, for some reason looking at Aang, "so I hope you like your chicken with no skin."

There was something in his voice that Ayaan couldn't quite read, there was something off about this King. It was like the king knew something but was choosing not to say it. Why was he like that when he addressed Aang?

"Thanks, but I don't eat meat," Aang replied. He gently pushed the plate of chicken aside.

"What about you, young man? Enjoying your food?" Now the King was addressing Ayaan. "It's... fine." Ayaan managed to grit out. "Thank you."

"You're Welcome!" The King said happily.

Thing was, Ayaan barely touched his food, no, he didn't touch it, at all. He hardly even looked at it. His wariness and nerves shot his appetite, the food disgusted him right now.

The King then turned to Sokka, "How about you? I bet you like meat." Then he stuffs some chicken into Sokka's mouth. Sokka's natural response was to begin chewing, savoring the flavor of the meat as he eats it appreciatively. As the King made his way towards his seat, Ayaan gives him a look.

Sokka could tell from that dumbfounded look on his face exactly what he was thinking: 'How are you eating in this situation?'

Sokka shrugged as he swallowed before answering that gaze, "I'm a simple guy with simple needs. This food is really good."

Katara and Aang had the same response, "It's because he's Sokka."

"Yes, it's because I'm me." Sokka just went with it, enjoying his chicken which the King had put in his mouth, guessing correctly that he liked the food. It wasn't really hard when the boy was looking at the assortment of meals with sparkling eyes.