Rosie

My wrists scream in agony as my restraints tighten and chaff against my skin, the fiction slowly burning the organ till it's red and raw. I don't know if I can hold off much longer. 

I try to focus on other things around me, the leaky pipe in the right hand corner that always seems to drip in a steady beat. One. . . two. . . three- no I can't take this anymore! My cloth gag rips at the corners of my mouth as I attempt to manoeuvre my jaw out of its grip. Struggling and squirming, I manage to tear the rope with help from a handy lighter I kept in my pocket. Sometimes there are advantages to being a nicotine addict- said no one else ever.

The physical part of this whole experience is bad enough, but it has been three days without food and water and my mind isn't doing to well. They say that after a victim is moved from the first location by their captor their chances of surviving are close to none, this is my fourth location. 

I hear whispers from the darkness, a giggle from the wind, the voices yelling at me for being so stupid.  There were ghosts that drifted through the room as a creation of my own paranoia, I knew it was all in my head, but that didn't make it any better. 

My rusted arms creak as I reach for my gag, though there is no time to oil them to my satisfaction, as the oil I crave is the time needed to escape. Time needed to stretch my wound legs, the time needed to unfold my joints from the position I was sat in from capture to drop-off, not to mention the transport between the two.

When I took my first breath from my mouth in the last three days, my next words were the relief that I craved. 

"Ring-a-round the Rosie, A pocket full of posies." I monotonously sing.  

A slow clap comes from behind the wall, and I sigh a little. "I'm surprised you lasted that long. You know, I really though the constant transport would break you." Rafael chuckles deep and croaky as his eyes meet mine through a puff of smoke.  

"When I said make the restraints more difficult to get out of, I didn't mean tie it so that it gets tighter the more I pull on it!" I glare jokingly at him. "And don't even get me started on the three days with no food and water, Rafael are you trying to kill me?"

Rafael was definitely a character, I mean anyone you meet in an alley would be. He is short, probably below my chin and have you ever heard that saying - "The short ones are always the angriest", yeah. . . they aren't lying. On the night that me and Rafael met, I was kidnapped - well, almost. Rafael has spotted a length man in a mask trying to drag me into his van and managed to pull a gun on my attacker and scare the group off, without him I don't know where I'd be now. 

Apart from being a chain smoker, Rafael is also an underground owner of Escape or Die Trying!  After finding me in the situation that he did, Rafael propositioned me and offered guidance. His company was a business where they would fake-kidnap you and create different scenarios to train yourself in the art of escape. His eldest daughter was taken from him when she was only eight years of age and his mission is to prevent as many daughters, sons, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers and so on, from ever getting into her situation.

Initially I declined him and went on my way, but persistent as ever - Rafael caught up to me and told me to at least take his card in case I changed my mind. And well, I did. So here we are now, The third fail of this week. 

In these simulations of sorts, you are given a time that the capture will take place, along with a safe-sentence. This safe-sentence can be used at any point in time to pause or end the experience, I have had to do this for all three of my attempts. No matter how many survival videos I watch on YouTube, I never manage to fully escape.