Chapter 2

Elias' POV

I hadn't found my mate yet and it was lunchtime. I know it's practically near impossible to find your mate the same day you turn eighteen, but the way everyone was talking about it made it seem like it would happen straight away.

I eat my fries as I half-listen to the conversation between Silas, Kai and a few others from our pack at our table.

A tall girl with long black hair walks up to our table with her blue eyes on Kai. "Hey Kai, you going to the party Friday night?" She asks seductively as she places her hand on his shoulder, leaning into him.

I recognise her from our pack, Eloise, her father is a close friend of Silas and I's.

"Of course I am," Kai says smiling at Eloise.

She smiles back at Kai, "good, I'll see you there," she tells him before leaning down to kiss him. Eloise gives my best friend a wink before walking over to her own table as her friends giggle together watching.

"Dude, are you guys dating or what?" Liam asks Kai, to which the rest of us watch curious as well.

Kai shakes his head, "of course not, I don't date," as he chuckles at the accusation.

"You're such a typical fuck boy, you know," Silas tells him, shaking his head in amusement.

"Hey!" Kai exclaims. "Everyone knows I don't date, so I'm not purposely lying or leading anyone on," he argues.

I look over to Eloise's table, as the girls from our pack whisper and giggle amongst each other, sneaking glances over to our table.

Despite girls knowing Kai doesn't ever date, they still have hopes they will be the one to change that. Or hope they will turn out to be Kai's mate in the future. Unfortunately for them, this isn't some fantasy where the fuck boy will fall in love with the not so innocent girl.

"You guys can't talk anyways," Kai tells everyone at the table. "You all hook up with girls and I don't see any of you in a relationship."

"Touché," most of the guys at the table in sync.

"I'm going to get more doughnuts," Kai announces getting up from the table, while the rest of us fall into conversation.

Suddenly, the most beautiful smell I've ever smelt in my life invades my nostrils. I look around the canteen on alert trying to identify where the smell is coming from.

Tobias - Mate?

I quickly look towards the canteen entrance, thinking they must have just entered the canteen. However, the only people near the entrance were Ryder, Blaze and Arabella. It couldn't be any of them.. could it? No way, that would be insane.

As soon as I am about to look away so it wouldn't seem as if I was staring at them, Ryder seemed to be on alert. His eyes darted around the room as if he is searching for something or someone. His beta and delta were oblivious; talking amongst themselves.

I hold my breath when Ryder's eyes land on me. He squints slightly tilting his head to the side as if he's trying to work something out.

I quickly turned away, thank god none of my friends saw whatever that was. I feel so confused, my heart racing and the smell is making me feel lightheaded. I quickly excuse myself and leave through the side door of the canteen into the hallway.

The overpowering smell leaves as I exit the canteen and I walk towards the men's bathroom. It wasn't long till the smell of pine attacked me again. I knew they weren't too far behind me but I'm not ready to know yet.

I didn't want to be right.

I move faster and I finally reach the men's bathrooms which I quickly enter, hoping they wouldn't follow.

The door opens and closes again after me but I'm facing the opposite direction as the smell of pine fills my nostrils. The clicking noise of the door locking makes me look at them on alert.

No... no. It can't be. My eyes are wide open as I take in Ryder's tall and muscular figure. He looks at me with his dark green eyes, emotionlessly.

Tobias - MATE!

Tobias yells the same word over and over again in my head, as if I didn't realise it for myself already.

I swiftly start pacing the small space confused and nervously as he stands there watching me, with his normal emotionless expression written on his face, without taking his eyes off me.

I don't know how long I have been pacing but I'm nervously biting my nails with a million thoughts flying around at once. How could this happen? I'm the Beta of the Sage Moon pack, how can I be Ryder's mate? Silas would never accept this! I can't even accept this. I hate Ryder, I cannot be his mate.

I look back up at Ryder no longer pacing. He's still watching me with that emotionless expression. Without thinking the words are flying out of my mouth and I cannot stop them.

"I, Elias Sage, reject you, Ryder Acosta, as m—" I'm cut off as Ryder quickly runs at me and puts one of his hands on my mouth, and the other around my waist.

I can feel his heart beating furiously within his chest as his hold on me tightens. I shut my eyes tightly, soaking in the feel of Ryder arms around me. My waist feels like it's on fire from his touch alone.

I can't believe I almost did that. It is the worst fate to be rejected or to reject a mate, and I almost did that.

"Don't," Ryder says at last. "Don't reject me." He pleads, making my heart twist in regret.